M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

01-23-2024, 03:07 PM   #1
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Car washing basics for PPF?

Hey all,

new to the forum, but wanted to know if there were any detailer gurus on here to give some advice on how to properly wash a car that has the front and rear ends wrapped in ppf?

I just ordered an Active 2.0 pressure washer set up, and know to avoid washing too close or at an angle, or near areas where the seams are.

Outside of that, are there any other pointers for a first time pressure car washer? I want to run with the factory supplied accessories until I know how I like washing the car.

I am interested in a foam cannon, but really the car is also partially coated in ceramic from Xpel.

I have ordered some Gyeon Q2M Bathe soap, Xpel Ceramic Boost, and some MF towels. In my cart are some contact washing supplies that I will save for later, it's too cold here to do that right now, so hence the pressure washer set up.

Is there anything else that's recommended? I really am looking for a low maintenance system, something I can spray and wipe? I am looking for something I can do regularly (perhaps weekly) but cant devote a lot of time to since I have a child. I have about an hour to get it done start to finish.

Interested in all the input and thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 03:47 PM   #2
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Use the white tip (40 degree angle tip)
Be mindful of the edges if it's not tucked.
How long has the PPF been installed. Especially since it's winter.....
It takes a bit for the moisture (some you can see, some you can't) to eventually cure out so if it's just recent, maybe stick to hand washing until it's cured out.
Appreciate 1
richiro274.50
      01-24-2024, 04:58 PM   #3
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

It's a luxury on the pricier side but I run both a DI water filter setup (CR Spotless) and a leaf blower. There's times where the car is lightly dusted and I just rinse it off for 2 minutes before driving and it dries in pristine condition. You can foam, contact wash, rinse and be done in 20 minutes.

The leaf blower is mainly so I'm not dragging the majority of the water into my garage after and helps the brakes from spraying rust all over my wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 09:43 AM   #4
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
Use the white tip (40 degree angle tip)
Be mindful of the edges if it's not tucked.
How long has the PPF been installed. Especially since it's winter.....
It takes a bit for the moisture (some you can see, some you can't) to eventually cure out so if it's just recent, maybe stick to hand washing until it's cured out.
Ppf has been on the car since October.

There are some spots where the film has come off the edges so the installer is aware and will fix/rewrap
Appreciate 0