BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-03-2022, 05:19 PM   #89
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 - '21 F90 M5

Quit flexing. I'm over here getting crushed to death in the market trying to buy a house and your having all the fun I want to have.

Man that carbon fiber sure did turn back around. good job.
2021 M5 Motegi Red- Stock
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2022, 09:57 AM   #90
M5Noob
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Garage List
2016 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
It's been 2.5 months since my last update, and I've only driven the M5 a handful of times in that span. The weather here in North Carolina has been unpredictable and the roads have seen quite a bit of salt over the past few weeks, so I’ve been reluctant to drive as much as normal. But in that time, I’ve been busy online collecting parts that I can install this spring - some larger than others.

The big ticket item this time was a set of custom Alpine White finished CSF charge coolers. The OEM charge coolers had always been an unsightly item in the engine bay for me, but getting an improvement in efficiency is the ultimate goal. Don’t get me wrong, not a great bang for your buck purchase, but these things look absolutely killer. There are other, less expensive options that essentially do the same thing, but I wanted something proven.

From my initial email to CSF, I had these in my hands less than 2 weeks later. Very impressed with these guys and the top-notch quality is quite clear -- both the charge coolers themselves, as well as the powder coat job and color match. This is what $2,495 + $200 custom color upcharge will get you.

And since I’ll have to disassemble the couplers on the charge pipes I installed recently to get these in, I followed the advice of Doctor_X and picked up some black t-bolt clamps from Race Part Solutions to complete the look. In addition to the charge pipe clamps, I also picked up some larger ones to replace the larger factory clamps on the intake tubes. About $135 for all these, so also not cheap.

As I’ve detailed on this very thread, I have been somewhat dissatisfied with the AFE carbon fiber engine cover. Not because of quality or anything like that, but because the matte finish didn’t match up with the other gloss carbon components I have. Painted covers or gloss carbon fiber covers are nearly non-existent for the F10 M5. I had ambitions of either having it sprayed with a clear coat, and even explored custom painting it Alpine White, but advised not to as the paint would bubble over time. In a eureka moment, I removed the cover and just tried to give it a 3 step polish to get rid of the matte finish. Success at last. After about an hour with some different products and my random orbital, I had a nearly identical match to the Dinan carbon fiber.

I was also able to remove about 95% of the AFE logo, which went a long way in obtaining the look I wanted. It does have a ghost image of the logo at certain angles, but only if you’re looking for it.

In a further attempt to make some small cosmetic modifications, I purchased some of the Goldenwrench classic silver caps for the oil, coolant, and fuel caps. These are not a full replacement, but simply 3M over the existing caps. I was skeptical, but these look great, fit perfectly, and achieved exactly what I was looking for. IND offers Alpine White painted options, but I didn’t want to go overboard with the paint matching; and they were much more expensive. I ordered the charge cooler cap too, but it did not fit, as the F80 and F10 are different. The coolant, oil, and fuel caps all fit great.

And lastly, I was able to track down a replacement trim piece to get rid of the audio control knob installed by a previous owner, but will miss the questions about what the knob did from everyone that noticed.

I have a few more items that should get delivered soon that I want to do at the same time as the charge coolers, including a front carbon lip from RW Carbon, so stay tuned for more updates over the coming weeks.
Goldenwrench has the third cap in development. I ordered through Mod Bargins and came to the same conclusion that the caps were different although they listed it as fitting our cars. Mod Bargains has been great as they reply very quickly to emails and also reached out to Goldenwrench. They have been working on the right cap for our cars and it should be ready in March sometime. Last email was 1/26/22 with the updated time frame.

Car looks great BTW!!
      02-06-2022, 10:59 AM   #91
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droner View Post
Quit flexing. I'm over here getting crushed to death in the market trying to buy a house and your having all the fun I want to have.

Man that carbon fiber sure did turn back around. good job.
Thank goodness my wife and I purchased a home in early 2020, before the housing prices exploded. The market around Asheville is absolutely brutal right now.

And agreed, was pleasantly surprised that the carbon turned out so good. When I have most of the Dinan intakes out of the car to install the charge coolers, I'll probably give them a light treatment too so they can pop like the engine cover does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Noob View Post
Goldenwrench has the third cap in development. I ordered through Mod Bargins and came to the same conclusion that the caps were different although they listed it as fitting our cars. Mod Bargains has been great as they reply very quickly to emails and also reached out to Goldenwrench. They have been working on the right cap for our cars and it should be ready in March sometime. Last email was 1/26/22 with the updated time frame.

Car looks great BTW!!
That is great news and something I'll definitely be picking up when released.

I didn't even try to return the cap I purchased as I'd already unpacked it (currently trying to sell it for a discount on the F80/F82 classifieds), but was disappointed IND had this listed as a fit for the F10 M5. I should have investigated closer before pulling the trigger. I would have been even more upset if I'd paid $147 for a painted version to discover that.

In the same order I made with IND for the Goldenwrench caps, I also picked up one of the Weistec billet oil filter housing cap, but it was backordered a few weeks. Arrived yesterday and I'm impressed with the build quality. Definitely got charged the M tax at $209, but dealing with the OEM oil filter housing assembly has not been enjoyable to deal with on the few oil changes I've done so far. I will report back if this makes the process easier or not.

Appreciate 3
m5rosco210.50
M5Noob73.50
M5Rick60062.50
      02-22-2022, 12:44 PM   #92
M5Noob
Private
Rep

Garage List
2016 M5  [0.00]
IND just came out with their own vesion for the oil filter cap. Please keep us updated on the Weistec brand as I'll be looking for this next oil change.
M tax is REAL! lol.
      02-22-2022, 07:39 PM   #93
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
IND just came out with their own vesion for the oil filter cap. Please keep us updated on the Weistec brand as I'll be looking for this next oil change.
M tax is REAL! lol.
I've had one for over a year, and I can say it's worth the money. For sure.
      02-22-2022, 08:46 PM   #94
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
M tax is REAL! lol.
Isn't IND it is actually Future Classic, they have some really good products. I have no concern about their quality just not fan of coping it
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 06:37 AM   #95
M5Noob
Private
Rep

Garage List
2016 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Isn't IND it is actually Future Classic, they have some really good products. I have no concern about their quality just not fan of coping it
I beleive they are, I have their 12mm spacers and titanium stud kit, the attention to detail is very good!! Holding up well and no funny vibrations.
      02-23-2022, 06:40 AM   #96
M5Noob
Private
Rep

Garage List
2016 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_M_Tech View Post
I've had one for over a year, and I can say it's worth the money. For sure.
Nice to hear. I see your from Mass, Im just down the street in RI. Cars and Coffee coming soon, we should meet up this year for some cruising.
      02-25-2022, 11:04 PM   #97
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

As some of you may have seen, after less than a year I have my 20" BBS CH-R + Michelin PS4S setup up for sale in the classifieds section. There is a very good reason.

Appreciate 3
m5rosco210.50
SCD-1983575.50
M5Noob73.50
      02-26-2022, 01:14 AM   #98
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 Frozen Blue

Congrats, stunning wheels, BBS FI-R forged are the lightest and one of the best looking wheels out there. I believe this set was offered here a while back and resurfaced, right? I was so tempted and the price was right, but shipping to Germany made it cost prohibitive

Anyways, fantastic setup Sir, keep going. I'm really looking forward to seeing the wheels on your M5!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2022, 08:11 AM   #99
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
There is a very good reason.
Looking good! Nice detail highlight on the raised BBS lettering on the rim. Is it warm enough down there to put them on the car?
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2022, 10:36 AM   #100
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Can't wait to see the fitment. Probably you will need spacers for the rear.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2022, 11:07 AM   #101
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCD-1983 View Post
Congrats, stunning wheels, BBS FI-R forged are the lightest and one of the best looking wheels out there. I believe this set was offered here a while back and resurfaced, right? I was so tempted and the price was right, but shipping to Germany made it cost prohibitive

Anyways, fantastic setup Sir, keep going. I'm really looking forward to seeing the wheels on your M5!
20" BBS FI -- 9.5" in the front with a +26 offset and 10.5" in the rear with +28 offset. Matched them with brand new TPMS and Michelin PS4S rubber. Shipping was not cheap but the savings versus new made it still a no-brainer.

And yes, purchased them from Used2be recently. Thanks to him for setting up shipping to me here in NC and for keeping them in such great shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Looking good! Nice detail highlight on the raised BBS lettering on the rim. Is it warm enough down there to put them on the car?
Thank you sir! Weather here has been erratic lately. Below freezing one day and pouring rain + 70 degrees the next. The M5 has spent all winter in the garage not being used, but last weekend on a particularly nice day I did fire her up and take her for a quick spin up the Blue Ridge Parkway to get the fluids moving before I tore down the car again for new wheels/tires + the CSF charge cooler install. I am in the middle of the latter now.

Quote:
Can't wait to see the fitment. Probably you will need spacers for the rear.
Wheels and tires were installed last night, spacers were removed, and WHOA! These things are incredibly light compared to the 20" CH-Rs I had on previously and I much prefer the gloss black finish to the matte. The weight difference made mounting these up much easier. And the visibility of the brakes and rotors underneath is enormous now. Fitment in my garage looks spot on with no spacers.

Compared to my last setup running 12mm spacers all around -- this setup with no spacers only sits about 3mm less aggressive in the rear with a 305 rear tire. These were made specifically for the F10 M5, so not running was spacers was one of the main reasons I went with this configuration.

Can't wait to get it out in the sunlight for a full photoshoot once I get the CSF coolers installed and buttoned up. Here's a teaser shot for now...

Appreciate 5
Beast27358.00
SCD-1983575.50
m5rosco210.50
M5Noob73.50
M5Rick60062.50
      02-26-2022, 08:16 PM   #102
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Oh yes, those are perfect fit, I thought you got FIR as someone posted on your for sale post. FI were made for F10 M5. Little heavier than FIR but the difference was so small that you can't ever notice that!
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2022, 07:35 AM   #103
co_pa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 m340ix

perfect add to an already great build, chad.
best wheels for the platform imo. looking forward to seeing more pics installed.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2022, 09:51 AM   #104
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

Looking forward to seeing the fitted pics!!!!
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2022, 11:13 AM   #105
M5Noob
Private
Rep

Garage List
2016 M5  [0.00]
These are what im after in the diamond black.
Cant wait to see these all mounted up and in the sunlight!!
      02-27-2022, 08:50 PM   #106
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
These are what im after in the diamond black.
Cant wait to see these all mounted up and in the sunlight!!
FI were never made in diamond black actually. You will need to custom paint them.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 10:03 PM   #107
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

I managed to spend a few hours over the weekend taking apart the engine bay in preparation for installing the new CSF charge cooler setup. There were a few posts scattered online regarding DIY of the charge cooler upgrade that I referenced along the way, but removal was pretty straightforward. I took my time with all clips/fittings and managed to yank everything out without breaking anything. I put plastic bags over the exposed openings where the coolers and intake used to be just to be safe.

I hope installation of the new pieces go as smoothly. I'm already paranoid about gouging the fresh white powder-coated finish so hopefully there won't be too much forceful encouragement needed to fit these. The space seems really tight.

The next step will be to swap everything over from the OEM coolers to the CSF coolers starting with the throttle bodies.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 02-28-2022 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 4
SCD-1983575.50
M5Noob73.50
m5rosco210.50
M5Rick60062.50
      02-28-2022, 01:04 PM   #108
M5Noob
Private
Rep

Garage List
2016 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
FI were never made in diamond black actually. You will need to custom paint them.
Its actually the FI-R's.
      02-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #109
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Its actually the FI-R's.
then you will need to run spacers on the rear for flush look, and some negative camber on front as fronts are more aggressive than FI

BBS FI-R
20x9.5 +22 19.0lbs / 20x10.5 +35 20.0lbs
(those were made for F80/F82 M3/M4) (weight was from tire rack)

BBS FI
20x9.5 +26 19.7lbs / 20x10.5 +28 20.4lbs (those were made for F10 M5) (weight was from tire rack)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 01:46 PM   #110
M5Noob
Private
Rep

Garage List
2016 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
then you will need to run spacers on the rear for flush look, and some negative camber on front as fronts are more aggressive than FI

BBS FI-R
20x9.5 +22 19.0lbs / 20x10.5 +35 20.0lbs
(those were made for F80/F82 M3/M4) (weight was from tire rack)

BBS FI
20x9.5 +26 19.7lbs / 20x10.5 +28 20.4lbs (those were made for F10 M5) (weight was from tire rack)
Yes the +22 and +35, 9.5-10.5 are what they are showing will work for the M5. I am currently running 12mm F/R spacers. Which set requires the spacers? Also looking on Tire Rack.