BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Post Motortrend First Test 2013 BMW F10 M5 Review - Yields 0-60 3.7sec / 11.9 sec Quarter

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...3_bmw_m5_test/

In the beginning, there was nothing. Then there was a big bang. At the time, it wasn't called the Big Bang, as it was the very first bang, so there were no other bangs to compare it with. Eventually, life evolved far enough to create everything from spatulas to literature, and the original M5 was born. The motorsport version of the e28 5 Series was conceived to deliver sports car-like performance with the useability of a four-door sedan. As with that original bang, we didn't have much to compare it with at the time, and it was easy to call it the best ever.

With each generation, BMW continued to add power, first with a bigger inline six-cylinder, then moving up to a V-8, and eventually going full F1-inspired crazy with a 5.0-liter V-10. While the M5 continued its march toward super sedan status, it was waving goodbye to daily driving sensibilities. The large-bore, short-stroke, high-revving V-10 didn't have much in the way of low-end grunt, and the adjustable suspension varied from bouncy to crushing. The single-clutch semi-automatic SMG transmission balked around town and slapped from gear to gear when driven hard. It was a great car to drive like a sports car, but wasn't the easiest to live with on a daily basis.

The latest generation of M5 manages to address the daily driving issues ignored by the e60, while simultaneously blowing it out of the water in performance. Enthusiasts may wax poetic about spinning the V-10's tachometer needle past 8000 rpm, but the rush of torque -- 500 lb-ft, to be exact -- created by the twin-turbo 4.4-liter V-8 launches the big car like a cannonball. We recorded a 0-60-mph time for the previous M5 at 4.1 seconds with a quarter-mile time of 12.5 seconds at 115.3 mph. Those seem like fast numbers until you consider the newer car runs to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds and gets through the quarter in 11.9 seconds at 120.3 mph.

For comparison's sake, a Porsche Panamera Turbo we tested recently did the same feats of strength in 3.5 seconds to 60 mph and 11.9 seconds at 114.7 mph through the quarter mile. But all-wheel drive is clearly a big advantage for the Porsche, and its extra 68 lb-ft of torque help the 104-pound-heavier Panamera get out of the hole.

Once the M5's speeds start to rise, the turbos spool and traction becomes less of an issue. The BMW gets from 0 to 100 mph in 8.4 seconds, while it takes the Porsche 8.8 seconds. The disparity in speed at the end of the quarter mile leads us to believe the M5 would keep pulling away at the high end. The Porsche makes a peak 500 hp, while the BMW cranks out a blistering 560 hp. We have tested a Panamera Turbo S rated at 550 hp that bridges the gap matching the 0-100-mph time, but still lags behind the M5's trap speed, coming in at 118.0 mph. It would seem the BMW is either producing a little more power than rated, or more of it is getting to the ground through two wheels once it's securely hooked up.

Around our figure-eight course, the BMW got nipped again by the Panamera Turbo. The M5 turned in a very unsedan-like 24.9 seconds at an average of 0.81 g. The Porsche did it half a second quicker with the same average g. The difference comes down to cornering speeds. The Panamera Turbo can pull a full 1.00 g in lateral acceleration, while the M5 creates 0.94 g of sideways tug.

Whether in a straight line or cornering, the M5 drives like a bigger, heavier M3. The car naturally wants to understeer, but can be rotated with careful throttle application. But all that extra torque isn't nearly as controllable coming from the turbos. This may be the only downside when compared with the V-10. While the naturally aspirated engine seemed to have a direct physical connection from the driver's ankle to the car's 10 individual throttle bodies, the turbocharged V-8 is a little more of a game of telephone. Push down on the throttle pedal, feed the engine a bit more air, wait for the turbos to spool, and then get ready to counter steer. The impatient will quickly find themselves facing the wrong direction if they simply pin the throttle and aren't expecting all 560 lb-ft all at once.

On the road, the new M5 is a huge step forward from the previous car. The SMG transmission is gone, replaced by a thoroughly modern twin-clutch seven-speed semi-automatic transmission. The suspension has a greater range of adjustments from the previous car's, and even the steering assist is surprisingly variable. With all knobs and switches set in Economy or Comfort mode, the M5 is similar in mannerisms to a 528. The freeway ride is comfortable; the steering is light by BMW standards; and the transmission jumps to the highest possible fuel-saving gear as quickly as it can.

We found it completely livable around town and on the highway. We were even surprised by the amount of amenities BMW has chosen for such a sporting car. If you happen to be lapping the Nuerburgring with the kids in the back seat, they can watch the two monitors hanging off the back of each front seat. How many kids have experienced "Yo Gabba Gabba" at 150 mph? The doors also have a self-closing feature like more luxurious cars in this price range. No need to slam the door; just latch it shut and the car takes it the rest of the way. In fact, if you do slam the door closed, the car gently pops it back out and reseats as if to say, "Here, let me show you how this is done."

Once you have finished oohing and aahing over all this luxury, the transmission, suspension and steering can all be prodded into Sport mode either through buttons on the center console or all at once with the programmable M Drive buttons on the steering wheel. Damping rates are increased; steering requires a bit more muscle; and shifts are held until later in the powerband while snapping gear to gear a little faster. This was our preferred mode around town, as comfort makes the M5 lean a little bit too far toward the apathetic. Sport still isn't perfect. The middle mode overshoots the Goldilocks zone, making every trip to the store a qualifying lap, but at least you aren't holding up traffic in one of the world's fastest sedans. Steering is quick and direct. BMW's typical high caster angle on the front suspension provides plenty of feedback through the steering wheel. Holding the gears a little longer means the engine always wants to go and go fast. The one thing that's exactly right is the suspension, at least for the driver. The stiffer damping rates work with a rigidly mounted rear subframe to give the M5 a buttoned-down feel missing in most sedans.

The last choice for aggression on demand is Sport Plus. Either BMW's test routes are perfectly smooth, or the engineers wanted to relive past glory of DTM racers bouncing through the air. Even on our smooth Southern California canyon roads, we found the suspension too stiff in the most aggressive state. Small mid-corner bumps unsettle the chassis, and the unsettling turns to near aerobatics when you press hard on the brakes. The steering effort switches from nicely heavy to something your personal trainer would recommend. Even the throttle response and sportiest shift modes are a little too much for anything other than drag racing. Sport Plus needs to be dialed back a bit more toward the current Sport, and that could be dialed back a little bit as well, to make the car a bit more drivable around town.

If we have any complaint about the new M5, it's that there is just too much gap between comfort and sport. In Comfort, the car feels like a 528 -- not a bad thing, but not the reflexes you want from a six-figure sedan. Obviously, the slower throttle response and short shifting are used to maximize the benefit of forced induction, but we wish there were something like Sport Minus Mode. But on the whole, that's a minor hiccup. From driver feedback to all-out performance, this is probably the best M5 ever.

2013 BMW M5

POWERTRAIN/CHASSIS
DRIVETRAIN LAYOUT Front engine, RWD ENGINE TYPE Twin-turbo 90-deg V-8, alum block/heads VALVETRAIN DOHC, 4 valves/cyl DISPLACEMENT 268.2 cu in/4395 cc COMPRESSION RATIO 10.0:1
POWER (SAE NET) 560 hp @ 6000 rpm
TORQUE (SAE NET) 500 lb-ft @ 1500 rpm
REDLINE 7200 rpm
WEIGHT TO POWER 7.8 lb/hp
TRANSMISSION 7-speed twin-clutch auto
AXLE/FINAL-DRIVE RATIO 3.15:1/2.12:1
SUSPENSION, FRONT; REAR Multi-link, coil springs, adj shocks, anti-roll bar; multi-link, coil springs, adj shocks, anti-roll bar
STEERING RATIO 13.1:1
TURNS LOCK-TO-LOCK 2.5
BRAKES, F;R 15.7-in vented, drilled disc; 15.6-in vented, drilled disc, ABS
WHEELS 9.0 x 20-in, 10.0 x 20-in cast aluminum
TIRES 265/35ZR20 99Y; 295/30ZR20 101Y Michelin Pilot Super Sport

DIMENSIONS
WHEELBASE 116.7 in
TRACK, F/R 64.1/62.3 in
LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 193.5 x 74.4 x 57.3
TURNING CIRCLE 41.3 ft
CURB WEIGHT 4384 lb
WEIGHT DIST., F/R 52/48 %
SEATING CAPACITY 5
HEADROOM, F/R 40.5/38.3 in
LEGROOM, F/R 41.4/36.1 in
SHOULDER ROOM, F/R 58.3/56.2 in
CARGO VOLUME 14.0 cu ft

TEST DATA
ACCELERATION TO MPH
0-30 1.5 sec
0-40 2.2
0-50 2.9
0-60 3.7
0-70 4.7
0-80 5.8
0-90 7.0
0-100 8.4
PASSING,
45-65 MPH 1.6
QUARTER MILE 11.9 sec @ 120.3 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 110 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.94 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 24.9 sec @ 0.81 g (avg)
TOP-GEAR REVS @ 60 MPH 1500 rpm

CONSUMER INFO
BASE PRICE $95,000 (est)
PRICE AS TESTED $105,000 (est)
STABILITY/TRACTION CONTROL Yes/Yes
AIRBAGS Dual front, front side, f/r curtain, front knee
BASIC WARRANTY 4 yrs/50,000 miles
POWERTRAIN WARRANTY 4 yrs/50,000 miles
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE 4 yrs/Unlimited
FUEL CAPACITY 21.1 gal
EPA CITY/HWY ECON 15/22 mpg (est)
ENERGY CONS.,
CITY/HWY 225/153 kW-hrs/100 miles (est)
CO2 EMISSIONS 1.11 lb/mile (est)
RECOMMENDED FUEL Unleaded premium

Name:  f10m5a.jpg
Views: 27557
Size:  108.8 KB

Name:  f10m5b.jpg
Views: 27359
Size:  117.8 KB

Name:  f10m5c.jpg
Views: 27140
Size:  127.2 KB

Name:  f10m5d.jpg
Views: 27117
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  f10m5e.jpg
Views: 27122
Size:  123.9 KB

Name:  f10m5f.jpg
Views: 27315
Size:  126.6 KB

Name:  f10m5g.jpg
Views: 26828
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  f10m5h.jpg
Views: 30935
Size:  161.4 KB
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control

Last edited by BimmerGuyFL; 03-13-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Good review. The Porsche is significantly more $$$ that the M5 and to be honest, the Panamera is ugly from every angle.

Interesting description of the E60 M5.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

It's a great step up from the E60 M5. The 5-series since the E34 and E39 was basically built from the same platform/Chassis as the corresponding 7-series (E32 and E38). When BMW came out with the 7-series E65/66 they switched the 5-series platform on it's own, the E60. To me the E60 was too hard riding and not enough luxury and comfort for what you paid for. The E60 was all Sport and always harsh and not convenient for everyday driving. The new F10 platform switched back to using the 7-series platform. I find it to have the right combination of Luxury and sport mixed in.
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

+1 I agree. But some others view the F10 as going to wrong way.

To those I say get a new M3 when it comes out. It will be a beast and be designed for the avid race guy, not the luxury sport car guy.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
+1 I agree. But some others view the F10 as going to wrong way.

To those I say get a new M3 when it comes out. It will be a beast and be designed for the avid race guy, not the luxury sport car guy.
M3 typically follows the lead of M5. I expect the next M3 to be more comfortable than E90s in comfort mode but sharper in the sports modes. BMW is obsessed with trying to do everything rite.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 02:28 AM   #6
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

i find it hilarious that they now say the e60 m5 "wasn't the easiest to live with on a daily basis",
n i haven't checked, but i'm pretty sure that in the 1st test of it (e60 m5) they were sayin, "i would sell my house n live inside this". haha
oh how the tables hav turned...

good review nonetheless.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
M3 typically follows the lead of M5. I expect the next M3 to be more comfortable than E90s in comfort mode but sharper in the sports modes. BMW is obsessed with trying to do everything rite.
You very well might be predicting right. The two cars will still be very different.

The M5 I expect will be a superior luxury machine. The M3 is hindered by the cost for sales purposes.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
You very well might be predicting right. The two cars will still be very different.

The M5 I expect will be a superior luxury machine. The M3 is hindered by the cost for sales purposes.
They will hail from the same gene pool, but like u said it, the M3 will be a more sporty interpretation whereas the M5 is more luxurious and comfortable. Both will entertain you when called upon
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Quote:
If we have any complaint about the new M5, it's that there is just too much gap between comfort and sport. In Comfort, the car feels like a 528 -- not a bad thing, but not the reflexes you want from a six-figure sedan. Obviously, the slower throttle response and short shifting are used to maximize the benefit of forced induction, but we wish there were something like Sport Minus Mode. But on the whole, that's a minor hiccup. From driver feedback to all-out performance, this is probably the best M5 ever.
This is exactly so mundane about current M3 also, that in comfort mode, it is like grand father's car and feels lesser than a new 2012 twin turbo 328 or a 335i, or is, but in sports it has an insatiable hunger and thirst to run, that is not possible to full fill in regular driving
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawal
Quote:
This is exactly so mundane about current M3 also, that in comfort mode, it is like grand father's car and feels lesser than a new 2012 twin turbo 328 or a 335i, or is, but in sports it has an insatiable hunger and thirst to run, that is not possible to full fill in regular driving
I see that as a good thing. That means the car can be more things to more people. Completely docile in comfort mode and beast in full out sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

0-60 in 3.7 is SICK.
      03-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Confused review- the "Comfort" setting feels nothing like a 528i- throttle tip in launches you still. It's more like the 550i in feel though. The genius behind this must have been in "ECO Pro" which does feel like a 528i on purpose to get the most mpg possible. The more of these things I read the less I want to read them.

When I get in the car the first thing I do is eye all the gauges, discover the modes the shoot pictures of the mode to go along with my notes. I then change modes and do it again.... its not that hard to get things right just requires some effort.
      03-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

0-60 in 3.7 in scary fast.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
We found it completely livable around town and on the highway. We were even surprised by the amount of amenities BMW has chosen for such a sporting car. If you happen to be lapping the Nuerburgring with the kids in the back seat, they can watch the two monitors hanging off the back of each front seat. How many kids have experienced "Yo Gabba Gabba" at 150 mph? The doors also have a self-closing feature like more luxurious cars in this price range. No need to slam the door; just latch it shut and the car takes it the rest of the way. In fact, if you do slam the door closed, the car gently pops it back out and reseats as if to say, "Here, let me show you how this is done."

The e60 M5 had soft close automatic doors too...guess the author missed that part.

Great review nonetheless. Can't wait to see this car in person and hit the streets in the US.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

3.7 s For the low low price of what, $100k?

I know I'll probably never own one, but I'll definitely drive it one day. It's a beautiful car.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
Merc1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL View Post
It's a great step up from the E60 M5. The 5-series since the E34 and E39 was basically built from the same platform/Chassis as the corresponding 7-series (E32 and E38). When BMW came out with the 7-series E65/66 they switched the 5-series platform on it's own, the E60. To me the E60 was too hard riding and not enough luxury and comfort for what you paid for. The E60 was all Sport and always harsh and not convenient for everyday driving. The new F10 platform switched back to using the 7-series platform. I find it to have the right combination of Luxury and sport mixed in.

Where are you getting this from? I have never seen anything about any of the previous 5's being built off the 7 chassis until now. The previous 5's were very sporty and defined the sport sedan category so I doubt that very seriously. As far as I've seen this is the first time the 5 and 7 have shared a chassis.

M
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:Jimmym@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdomPHD View Post
3.7 s For the low low price of what, $100k?

I know I'll probably never own one, but I'll definitely drive it one day. It's a beautiful car.
Well its just over $100K in Canada, and lower than the old M5 was there. Now because the Canadian Dollar has gone up a lot to the US dollar recently we can't look at the old US price and base it on that, but I would be SHOCKED if the US pricing doesn't start around $91K-$93K, certainly under $95K. And if it comes with all the standard features that the Canadian version does, thats not too bad.

Also note the 2010 M5 was $85,700 to start (up $200 over the 2009 model), now the V8 has to be cheaper than the V10 was! There is hope it could start under $90K to compete with the E63 in price.

My reason for thinking they would be crazy to be over $95K is the CLS63 AMG is $94,900 to start and the E63 AMG is $88,900 with their new turbo V8s. Yes I would take a M5 over a E63, but not so sure about taking one over a CLS63 if they were priced similar. Of course I won't be buying one new anytime soon but am hoping to possibly trade my C63 in for an M5 in 2 years (maybe get one for $75K used, tough call that or a new M3 Sedan)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #19
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire View Post
I see that as a good thing. That means the car can be more things to more people. Completely docile in comfort mode and beast in full out sport mode.
it's not a good thing, though. There's too much of a gap between the two modes (well, from the writing, I haven't driven one).

I have this same complaint about the Sport mode in my 535. Normal is great if you want to maximize mileage. However Sport is, well, more like "Track". There needs to be something in between for driving around responsively, but not hooning about. The Audi's sport mode is a bit more relaxed and useful. I hardly ever use sport mode as it's just too aggressive for daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #20
cs4444
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

"Once the M5's speeds start to rise, the turbos spool and traction becomes less of an issue. The BMW gets from 0 to 100 mph in 8.4 seconds, while it takes the Porsche 8.8 seconds. The disparity in speed at the end of the quarter mile leads us to believe the M5 would keep pulling away at the high end. The Porsche makes a peak 500 hp, while the BMW cranks out a blistering 560 hp. We have tested a Panamera Turbo S rated at 550 hp that bridges the gap matching the 0-100-mph time, but still lags behind the M5's trap speed, coming in at 118.0 mph. It would seem the BMW is either producing a little more power than rated, or more of it is getting to the ground through two wheels once it's securely hooked up."

Wow the M5 has a higher trap speed in the 1/4 mile than a Panamera Turbo S!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Confused review- the "Comfort" setting feels nothing like a 528i- throttle tip in launches you still. It's more like the 550i in feel though. The genius behind this must have been in "ECO Pro" which does feel like a 528i on purpose to get the most mpg possible. The more of these things I read the less I want to read them.
There's no such thing as "ECO Pro" in the M5. It's called "Efficient".

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #22
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
There's no such thing as "ECO Pro" in the M5. It's called "Efficient".

Best regards,
south

Lol, no Eco in a twin turbo V8.

You need an Eco foot to save gas. Its all about the driver, not the car.
Appreciate 0