M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

11-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

iDrive Touch for 2014 (July 2013 production)

I am sure there will be an official article about this very soon on this site.. but here is the video of the new system and its coming to all BMW/Mini/RR vehicles for 2014 MY. I am not sure whether there is a retrofit option for the current 2013 updated NAV cars but its good to see BMW innovating with tons of tech. My car comes in 2 weeks and BMW is just rolling along with new options and features.. amazing.

Following is more info and a video, previously posted at http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716469

BMW iDrive Touch Controller – fingertip control at its finest.

BMW iDrive Touch Controller – fingertip control at its finest.

The introduction of the BMW iDrive Touch sees the development team at the BMW Group integrating a touch-sensitive pad into the iDrive system’s central control unit, the iDrive Controller, for the very first time. Measuring 45 mm across, the multi-touch surface makes certain in-vehicle control functions more intuitive, faster and easier to use.

Incorporating the touchpad into the iDrive Controller means it is ergonomically positioned where it is easy to reach: with entry, selection and confirmation being performed in the usual way using the control knob’s rotate-and-press mechanism, the direct proximity to the touchpad means there is no need for any fumbling around.

The touch surface will initially be made available for the Chinese market from July 2012 and will add various convenience-enhancing functions to the iDrive Controller, including handwriting recognition as well as navigating in maps. One year later, availability of the iDrive Touch and these new functions will be extended to almost all other markets. At this point, a function for surfing the internet is also due to be added, which will allow the mouse pointer to be controlled in exactly the same way as on many handheld devices.

Handwriting recognition.

The handwriting recognition function enables characters to be entered with the finger by simply “writing” them on the surface of the touchpad. Whereas previously this could only be done with the “Speller” – a circular arrangement of letters in the display – by turning the control knob, the touch-sensitive surface now recognises the letters and the Speller instantly jumps to the right point of the alphabet. To further reduce driver distraction, a voice output repeats the character that has been recognised.

The handwriting recognition function is a tremendous boon for the Chinese market especially, which is why the BMW iDrive Touch Controller is making its debut there. With several thousand characters and as many as 21 strokes per character, entering text is a far more complex task than with the Latin alphabet. The reason the iDrive Touch Controller is of such great benefit in China is that the sequence of strokes for starting Chinese characters is basically set in stone, meaning that the selection of characters is already narrowed down considerably with the very first stroke entered by the driver. The choice is further refined with each additional stroke, allowing rapid selection of the relevant character.

Map navigation.

Apart from recognising handwriting, the iDrive Touch also makes it possible to navigate freely within the route map shown in the display and zoom in on it, too. The scale is changed using the two-finger pinch gesture already familiar from many laptops und smartphones. If there is a traffic jam ahead, for example, the driver can adjust the scale of the displayed portion of map using the touchpad, move the view to the hold-up and take a look at the suggested alternative route. The driver can also use touch control to mark the points of interest (POIs) stored in the map, then press the control knob to confirm his choice and display more detailed information. The later version of the iDrive Touch will furthermore allow the mouse pointer to be moved across the display while surfing the internet, just like on a home PC. Pressing the iDrive Controller will then have the same effect as clicking with the mouse.

BMW iDrive Touch Controller

11-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I think the next gen X5 will have this first.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Will this be included in the F10 M5 LCI? If so, I predicted it 6 months ago!

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...69&postcount=6
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
I think the next gen X5 will have this first.
Not from what I am hearing and seeing. It will be on all BMWs next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Will this be included in the F10 M5 LCI? If so, I predicted it 6 months ago!

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...69&postcount=6
Ha! Nice...
      11-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Physically the controllers are the same dimensions so that at least doesn't prevent a retrofit and also means BMW doesn't have to redesign trim elements. A software upgrade will be required, for certain. On vehicles without touch, coding can probably enable it.

The only thing that might be necessary is additional wiring, but I suspect the existing connector can transmit the touch data. It is only 4 wires (12V, GND, data in, data out) but is fully bi-directional.
      11-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Physically the controllers are the same dimensions so that at least doesn't prevent a retrofit and also means BMW doesn't have to redesign trim elements. A software upgrade will be required, for certain. On vehicles without touch, coding can probably enable it.

The only thing that might be necessary is additional wiring, but I suspect the existing connector can transmit the touch data. It is only 4 wires (12V, GND, data in, data out) but is fully bi-directional.
Sounds good to me I am in countdown mode right now - 20 days to go!!
      11-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Sounds good to me I am in countdown mode right now - 20 days to go!!
So close! You're going to love this car.
      07-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:

Just reviving an old thread
The iDrive with touch pad also add addtl modules to the system and from the first looks/info it won't be a simple retrofit via plug and play / sw update
Also the touch pad itself may not be for everyone as it seems to be fairly slow , you draw one letter and have to wait for it to be processed before you can draw the 2nd etc ...
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Just reviving an old thread
The iDrive with touch pad also add addtl modules to the system and from the first looks/info it won't be a simple retrofit via plug and play / sw update
Also the touch pad itself may not be for everyone as it seems to be fairly slow , you draw one letter and have to wait for it to be processed before you can draw the 2nd etc ...
^ this. Execution is pretty horrible. I played with it the other day. I think input using the controller the old way (scrolling and selecting) could potentially be faster.

Me: Draws "W"
Car: "W? Confirm"
Me: "Yes"
Car: "Proceed"
Me: Draws "T"
Car: "T? Confirm"
Me: Draws "F"
Car: "F? Confirm"
Me: Turns off car and gets out.
      07-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

I agree that the touch controller makes entering text slow and clunky, but other new features on the 2014 models are cool, like voice control for Google search, Virtual Volume indicator and of course Siri and S-Voice control (and don't forget BMW apps for Android)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
^ this. Execution is pretty horrible. I played with it the other day. I think input using the controller the old way (scrolling and selecting) could potentially be faster.

Yeah - that's ridiculous!! They may as well not have bothered.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
I agree that the touch controller makes entering text slow and clunky, but other new features on the 2014 models are cool, like voice control for Google search, Virtual Volume indicator and of course Siri and S-Voice control (and don't forget BMW apps for Android)
I'll believe it when I see it. They said they would have Siri voice control on the 2013 iDrive too.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:

BMW had in mind the Chinese market when they developed this system. It makes more sense because unlike alphabets, a single Chinese character can usually express an entire word, (for example horse, rice field, river are all single Chinese characters thus just one entry vs. writing the whole words -- 5 letter entries for horse, etc.). One thing that BMW should improve and spend more time is voice recognition. My friend's MS Sync voice recognition system in his Ford beats the BMW system by lightyears (an exageration!).
      07-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
BMW had in mind the Chinese market when they developed this system. It makes more sense because unlike alphabets, a single Chinese character can usually express an entire word, (for example horse, rice field, river are all single Chinese characters thus just one entry vs. writing the whole words -- 5 letter entries for horse, etc.). One thing that BMW should improve and spend more time is voice recognition. My friend's MS Sync voice recognition system in his Ford beats the BMW system by lightyears (an exageration!).
Agree.

Even the 2009 Ford voice recognition exceeds BMWs 2014 voice recognition by light years too. That's pretty damning.
Appreciate 0