M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
dean_g
Second Lieutenant
 
dean_g's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 296
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to dean_g
What phone do you own?

So all you M5 owners, what phone do you pair to your car? iPhone5? Windows phone?

Where I am trying to get is, are there any advantages to owning an iPhone vs a Windows phone? In essence, will the iPhone and Siri work with the car to for example read text messages? Send text messages? Read emails? etc..
dean_g is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
wdimagineer
Captain
 
wdimagineer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 934
iTrader: (0)

Thanks to my work I carry 3 phones with me. Currently the iPhone 5, Galaxy Note 2, and Nokia Lumia 920.

iOS support for the vehicle features is hit or miss. Android rarely ever works, but it depends on your phone. Most OEMs tweak their software to add in additional support.

Windows Phone 8 - so far - has the best level of integration. I can even sync contact pictures to iDrive and see them when I dial or receive a call.
__________________
Current: Bimmerpost Featured 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport Alpine White/Mocha
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 2012 550 xDrive 2011 M3 ZCP
wdimagineer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Rohardi
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 G37XS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rhode Island

Posts: 483
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Thanks to my work I carry 3 phones with me. Currently the iPhone 5, Galaxy Note 2, and Nokia Lumia 920.

iOS support for the vehicle features is hit or miss. Android rarely ever works, but it depends on your phone. Most OEMs tweak their software to add in additional support.

Windows Phone 8 - so far - has the best level of integration. I can even sync contact pictures to iDrive and see them when I dial or receive a call.
Sounds like you work for AT&T with that phone line up...
Rohardi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
wdimagineer
Captain
 
wdimagineer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 934
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
Sounds like you work for AT&T with that phone line up...
I don't. Private company that does mobile software development.
__________________
Current: Bimmerpost Featured 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport Alpine White/Mocha
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 2012 550 xDrive 2011 M3 ZCP
wdimagineer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
cmhsam
Major
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 1,279
iTrader: (0)

I carry the Iphone 5 and it works flawlessly with the M5. I had tried the Samsung Galaxy S3 a couple of weeks ago but after three days went back to the IP5. Integration with the car, amongst other problems, were too much for me to make the switch. I have been an iPhone user since the first iPhone and their integration with 3rd party offerings seem to be more seamless. Call me a fanboy!
cmhsam is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,291
iTrader: (0)

BMW Apps to my knowledge still only works with iOS. The M5 also supports that Nuance speech-to-text feature for sending text messages on the go; I know that works for iOS but not sure about other platforms. It's not a free service either, though. Siri support as far as I know is not truly implemented yet unless you count having to invoke her on the phone itself, at which point you can speak to her through the car's mic.

That's interesting about the WP8 phone syncing pictures to iDrive, didn't know that!
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Tomcat2048
Private
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

iPhone 5 here, upgraded from a 4 on launch day.
Tomcat2048 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Porsche997Techart
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scottsdale

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

I'm interested in knowing which phones actually work with Office for text and email receipt. The BMWUSA/bluetooth site shows that the Motorola Droid Razr works. Has anyone gotten the iPhone5 or any of the newer phones to work with Office?
Porsche997Techart is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,291
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche997Techart View Post
I'm interested in knowing which phones actually work with Office for text and email receipt. The BMWUSA/bluetooth site shows that the Motorola Droid Razr works. Has anyone gotten the iPhone5 or any of the newer phones to work with Office?
Newer BlackBerries work and they were in fact the original platform to support this. Yes, Office works with the iPhone 5, in fact any iPhone running iOS 6, and there are already at least 2 threads in this section of M5Post that cover how to do it; I know because I posted walkthroughs in both of them. Note that email delivery on iDrive is still finicky (texts seem to work fine), but why would you want to ruin your enjoyment of your M5 by turning it into yet another way to be plagued by email anyway?
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
M54ccibo
Major
 
M54ccibo's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F10 M5 AW/SO
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,379
iTrader: (0)

iPhone 4S w/iOS 6.0.1. Office with text and email as well as calendar are all functional. Only problem is that I don't use the native iOS mail client, rather, Sparrow and Gmail. So, receiving mail is not a big deal.
M54ccibo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,291
iTrader: (0)

^ Fyi, being able to view your calendar is a feature of BMW Apps, not the Bluetooth Office profile. That means you'll need your phone connected via USB for that feature, and I believe (though I have not tested this) that you need to have the BMW Connected app open on your phone, which means you can't use other BMW Apps like Pandora or MOG at the same time.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
emmfiv3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: whenever I can.
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 355
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
^ Fyi, being able to view your calendar is a feature of BMW Apps, not the Bluetooth Office profile. That means you'll need your phone connected via USB for that feature, and I believe (though I have not tested this) that you need to have the BMW Connected app open on your phone, which means you can't use other BMW Apps like Pandora or MOG at the same time.
In my experience this is the big weakness in the system. I've got to go in and start MOG, Pandora or BMW Connected on the phone before I can access their content/features. Snapping the phone in and out of the cradle to do this is tedious. I have mostly given up on all that and just use spotify and the phone features via BT.
emmfiv3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
M54ccibo
Major
 
M54ccibo's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F10 M5 AW/SO
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,379
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
^ Fyi, being able to view your calendar is a feature of BMW Apps, not the Bluetooth Office profile. That means you'll need your phone connected via USB for that feature, and I believe (though I have not tested this) that you need to have the BMW Connected app open on your phone, which means you can't use other BMW Apps like Pandora or MOG at the same time.
That is correct...the calendar requires that connected be running and the phone unlocked. Poor design IMHO. I personally don't use Pandora or MOG, preferring to listen to my music library on the phone.
M54ccibo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,291
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
That is correct...the calendar requires that connected be running and the phone unlocked. Poor design IMHO. I personally don't use Pandora or MOG, preferring to listen to my music library on the phone.
Cool, that's what I thought. Fyi that's not really poor design on BMW's part. It's a function of iOS providing very limited support for interacting with apps running in the background. Removing the requirement that Connected be launched on the phone would require a change from Apple, not BMW.

Of course that means that if BMW Connected were ever ported to Android (as BMW has promised for so long now), you WOULD actually be able to use all of those features without having the app open because Android doesn't have any background process restrictions that I'm aware of.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
 
LAKEOM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon

Posts: 289
iTrader: (0)

i
LAKEOM5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
Alex.br
///M Power
 
Alex.br's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2012 1M, 2012 X5M
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BR

Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW E82 1M  [5.00]
2009 BMW E60 M5  [5.00]
2012 E70 X5M  [5.00]
2013 BMW F10 M5  [5.00]
iPhone 5
__________________

2013 F10 M5 Brilliant White - Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust + 21" ADV.1 10.01 SL + GruppeM Intake
2012 E82 1M Alpine White - Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust + Soon: 20" ADV.1 5.01
2012 E70 X5M Alpine White
Alex.br is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
cmhsam
Major
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 1,279
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisratz View Post
In my experience this is the big weakness in the system. I've got to go in and start MOG, Pandora or BMW Connected on the phone before I can access their content/features. Snapping the phone in and out of the cradle to do this is tedious. I have mostly given up on all that and just use spotify and the phone features via BT.
So you can stream Spotify to the car via bluetooth?
cmhsam is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
M54ccibo
Major
 
M54ccibo's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F10 M5 AW/SO
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,379
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Cool, that's what I thought. Fyi that's not really poor design on BMW's part. It's a function of iOS providing very limited support for interacting with apps running in the background. Removing the requirement that Connected be launched on the phone would require a change from Apple, not BMW.

Of course that means that if BMW Connected were ever ported to Android (as BMW has promised for so long now), you WOULD actually be able to use all of those features without having the app open because Android doesn't have any background process restrictions that I'm aware of.
Yep...didn't mean BMW...that comment was pointed at Apple
M54ccibo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #19
boots
Colonel
 
boots's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cypress Tx

Posts: 2,216
iTrader: (0)

I have a droid x. I guess from what I am reading that android phones wont work too well. Am I wrong.
boots is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #20
emmfiv3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: whenever I can.
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 355
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
So you can stream Spotify to the car via bluetooth?
Yes, and you can use the steering wheel controls to move through the playlist you're in. But AFAIK switching between playslists requires picking up the phone. Also, no album art. MOG and Pandora via cradle/USB allow you to switch playlists/stations through the idrive screen and also shows album art, which looks pretty dang nice.
emmfiv3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
Bliz33
New Member
 
Drives: F10 M5 (on order)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

a cracked screen 4s...but my upgrade is now available and im likely going to go with the 5
Bliz33 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
 
chillin4now's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 at Home
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Smocation

Posts: 325
iTrader: (0)

I have Issues

I have an iPhone5 and cant seem to get the email to work. I have texts coming through but no email.
I have tried pairing upairing sharing unsharing everything a dozen times to no avail.
Watched the BMW video and it shows options that I dont even have.
I understand that all my software is up to date as well.
__________________
Because; whats behind me doesnt matter.
chillin4now is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST