M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
RPiM5
Brigadier General

Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Complete Loudness Comparison of all Exhausts

Dudes, I decided to make this post into it's own thread cause I think it is useful information for anyone shopping for an exhaust for their F10 M5. This is just an assessment based on loudness alone, this has nothing to do with tone. I think once more downpipes start hitting the street I'll make a new list.

Somewhere on this Forum Rob///M5 made a really good list of a scale of 1-10 of loudness of exhausts, but I can't find it. I was going to post it again here but I'll just make up my own based on my experience instead. If anyone finds it, please post it. Thanks.

Anyways, after playing with my buddy's Stage 2 E60 M5 a few weekends ago and also hearing my other buddies Straightpiped Lambo Superleggera, here's how I rank the exhausts that are out today:

-Again ranging from 1 (mouse peeping in the night) to 10 (jet aircraft at full afterburner).

Update 6/18/2013: Since the time of this original post several new developments have come about. More people are starting to get Catless Downpipes for their M5's and M6's. Also a few new exhaust systems have come on the market which I have not heard yet., such as the RDSport Exhaust System, and the Vorsteiner System. I will post them up if I ever get to hear them in real life. I have updated the list accordingly.

1: F10 M5 Stock Exhaust (Although the crack from the stock exhaust is louder than most other aftermarket exhausts, I think it may be because the stock mufflers are actually smaller than a lot aftermarket ones)
2: RPi GTS Exhaust / Akropovic Exhaust
3: F10 M5 Eisenmann Sport (Mufflers Only)
4: F10 M5 RPi GT Exhaust / F10 M5 Supersprint Exhaust (Mufflers Only)
5: F10 M5 Eisenmann Race Exhaust (Mufflers Only)
6: F10 M5 Meisterschaft GT Exhaust, F10 M5 with Turner Motorsport Axleback Muffler Delete Exhaust
7: F10 M5 RPi GTM Exhaust (The Cracks from the exhaust will actually hurt your eardrums though) / E60 M5 RPi GTS Exhaust
8: E60 M5 RPi GT Exhaust / E60 M5 Eisenmann Race Exhaust / E92 M3 RPi GTM Exhaust.
9: E60 M5 RPi Stage 2 with Full GT Headers and GT Exhaust / Almost any E60 with Headers and Exhaust / Straightpiped Merc C63 / Straightpiped Aston DBS / Straightpiped Lexus ISF / F10 M5 with AMS Catless Downpipes and Full Eisenmann Race Exhaust
9.5: F10 M5 with Catless Downpipes and RPi GTM Exhaust
10: Straightpiped Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera / Straightpiped Porsche Carrera GT / Straightpiped Lambo Aventador

The only one I haven't heard in real life is the F10 M5 Hartge Exhaust System, it would be interesting to hear that one as they also make a Muffler Deleted System as well.

Once again this is based off of my personal experience. I live for sound and consider myself an aficianado of exhaust sound quality and decibel level. So as you can see according to my updated list the F10 M5 RPi GTM with the muffler deletes falls out around a level 7. My Goal is to get it up to a level 9 with the inclusion of some downpipes, I just hope that it can be done. Getting an F10 M5 to a level 10 will be impossible due to the turbos.

One of the best indicators that I use for how epic an exhaust sounds is by driving around town and watching the people on the street. If the people on the street stop what they are doing and turn their head to look at your car, then you've got a beast. If not keep working at it. Lol!

With the F10 M5 RPi GTM, I get looks about 50% of the time from people hearing the loud exhaust. It's kind of hit or miss. With my old Stage 2 E60 M5, I was getting looks 100% of the time.

I would like to reiterate again, that the straightpipes design on the F10 M5 is rather tame inside the cabin. It's so tame in fact that I hate it! LOL! I can barely hear the exhaust with all of the windows up. I have resigned to driving around all the time now with at least my sunroof open. With all of the windows down it sounds better, but when you go in tunnels, underneath highway overpasses or are surrounded by tall buildings on each side of the street, you can really hear the GTM in all of its glory. The soundproofing on the F10 M5 is too damn good! On the plus side, because of the soundproofing the Bang & Olufsen still sounds fantastic as always, there's no competition between the GTM and the B&O.

My personal favorites for the F10 M5 are:

1. RPi GTM (like duh! Lol!)
2. Eisenmann Race (I think this is the best bang for the buck, outstanding sound just for only mufflers!)

Last edited by RPiM5; 06-24-2013 at 11:37 AM.
      03-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Rob///M5
Major

Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Great idea to post this list.

The E-Race mufflers are definitely louder than the Supersprint "road" mufflers. I would swap those 2 on your list. Otherwise, looks about right
      03-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
RPiM5
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Great idea to post this list.

The E-Race mufflers are definitely louder than the Supersprint "road" mufflers. I would swap those 2 on your list. Otherwise, looks about right
After further pondering, I concur.

Changed! LoL!
      03-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Nate@IND

Drives: BMW

Good list! Things are about to change with the Downpipes coming out

My favorites-
Eisenmann Race rear section
Akrapovic (exotic yet mild tone)
Eisenmann Sport + center pipes
      03-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
bobblehead
Brigadier General

Drives: warp speed

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806833

post # 13
bobblehead is offline   Canada
      03-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///

Drives: 2014 M5 Individual

Dave - I think the Eisenmann Sport Axleback is quite a bit louder than the Akrapovic.
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
      03-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
RPiM5
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Dave - I think the Eisenmann Sport Axleback is quite a bit louder than the Akrapovic.
Agreed. I revised the list a bit.
      03-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Rob///M5
Major

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Thanks for finding it

Here was my original loudness list...

Volume rating from 1 (stock) to 10 (jet aircraft):
1 - Stock
2 - Akra (full exhaust)
3 - Eisenmann Sport (mufflers only)
4 - RPI GT (full exhaust)
4 - Supersprint (mufflers only)
6 - Meistershaft (full exhaust)
7 - Eisenmann Race (mufflers only)
10 - RPI GTM Muffler Delete
      03-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
bm5bullit
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Modified Stock

Anything yet on the modified/gutted stock mufflers??
2011 535i - (temp car) SOLD
2008 E60 M5 - Gone
bm5bullit is offline   United_States
      03-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
RPiM5
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit
Anything yet on the modified/gutted stock mufflers??
ColdList will have to chime in on this one.
      03-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
bobblehead
Brigadier General

Drives: warp speed

Can any of you guys (expert) can reference the drone noise level, if any, onto the above list. I know everyone's perception of noise varies, but a general observation would be much appreciated.
bobblehead is offline   Canada
      03-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
RPiM5
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Can any of you guys (expert) can reference the drone noise level, if any, onto the above list. I know everyone's perception of noise varies, but a general observation would be much appreciated.
Your'e only going to get drone if you remove the resonators completely. The only exhausts out of all of them that I know of, I could be wrong, that remove them completely are the:

- RPi GT
- RPi GTM

That said I would said that the drone is awesome! It's about a level 3 or 4 out of 10 inside of the cabin. Where as the drone on the E60 V10 was like a level 8 or 9 without the resonators. Plus the E60's drone was all over the rev range, where as the F10's drone is only from 1,600 - 2,000rpm on the RPi GT and you get an additional drone range with the RPi GTM from 2,800 - 3,000rpm. But like I said they both sound good and is livable in the F10 where as in the E60 the drone could get very overwhelming at times. Those two extra cylinders in the V10 make a big difference!
      03-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
Charlie Brown
First Lieutenant

Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

I have the Eisenmann Sport with non-resonated x-pipe center section. -no drone at any RPM or load detected..
Charlie Brown is offline   United_States
      03-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
PatrickC23
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '13 F10 AW/SO ///M5

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post

My favorites-
Are you saying just doing the mufflers with eisenman race is your fav? Are there sound clips of this?
PatrickC23 is offline   United_States
      03-30-2013, 02:43 AM   #15
Rob///M5
Major

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post

My favorites-
Are you saying just doing the mufflers with eisenman race is your fav? Are there sound clips of this?
E Race mufflers only is brilliant. Just do it!
      04-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #16
ecksreturns
Commander-in-Chief

Drives: 08 E92 M3,2013 M5 and M6

Would adding only E race mufflers intrude in the usual freeway commute? I am looking at adding more bass and sound into the exhaust but not at the expense of normal day to day driving. My heart says that E race would be perfect(as it would not drone and would sound awesome at WOT) , but my friends are recommending E sport + x pipe.

I have had personal experience with the E Race on my E92 M3 (just mufflers) and I loved the bass it added and yet retained the civility during normal driving. Can the same be said for the E race for the F10 m5? I do not wish to fall back on Akra(what a choice eh?) as I already have the full catless akra setup on my M3 and I love that too death as it doesn't drone at all and sounds great to me. If I had to fall back on akra then I would go for their EVO system with all cats retained. But I really want to be sure about the E race. Please help!
ecksreturns is offline   India
      04-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #17
RPiM5
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksreturns View Post
Would adding only E race mufflers intrude in the usual freeway commute? I am looking at adding more bass and sound into the exhaust but not at the expense of normal day to day driving. My heart says that E race would be perfect(as it would not drone and would sound awesome at WOT) , but my friends are recommending E sport + x pipe.

I have had personal experience with the E Race on my E92 M3 (just mufflers) and I loved the bass it added and yet retained the civility during normal driving. Can the same be said for the E race for the F10 m5? I do not wish to fall back on Akra(what a choice eh?) as I already have the full catless akra setup on my M3 and I love that too death as it doesn't drone at all and sounds great to me. If I had to fall back on akra then I would go for their EVO system with all cats retained. But I really want to be sure about the E race. Please help!
The E Race section 3 will not drone at all. Just ask Rob///M5. Besides the sound proofing/dampening is so damn good that even the straighpipe setup is still too quiet. You will have nothing to worry about.
      04-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #18
Rob///M5
Major

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksreturns

Totally civilized at highway speeds. The only drone is on coast down at around 1800 RPMs. Way LESS drone with the E Race than with the Supersprint "sport" mufflers I tried first (which is totally weird).

Cold start is LOUD. That's the only part of the sound that's "uncivilized"...but kick ass

I love the E race!
      04-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
bm5bullit
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Can any of the mufflers with the vacuum valve bypass be controlled via manual mode? This would be equivalent to what I used to have in my C6 ZO6 which everyone called the "man switch".
2011 535i - (temp car) SOLD
2008 E60 M5 - Gone
bm5bullit is offline   United_States
      06-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
RPiM5
Brigadier General

Original post updated today with new information.
      06-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
LonghornM5

Drives: MCB, DCT, Turner, iND, invisbr

Where's Turner fit into all this? I have it, sounds great but haven't heard any in person to compare (other than stock). I'm in Dallas if anyone wants to compare. I'll be at Cars and Coffee at Classic on Saturday.
      06-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
RPiM5
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornM5 View Post
Where's Turner fit into all this? I have it, sounds great but haven't heard any in person to compare (other than stock). I'm in Dallas if anyone wants to compare. I'll be at Cars and Coffee at Classic on Saturday.
Thanks for the reminder. I have heard the Turner system at Bimmerfest back in May. I have ranked it as a number 6. It is really somewhere between 5 and 6, but I gave it a 6 for good measure.