M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Rpi Downpipe review

Dudes,

My Rpi Downpipes arrived before Xmas, but since I was out of town before that time and finally returned home on Thursday, I was able to have my Xmas day with them.

I opened up the box and to my surprise, the first thing I noticed was the build quality. It was extremely good. The welds are tig and the fit/finish was second to none. Nice shine to them. I do wish the exhaust welds were of the same weld quality, but the exhaust looks nice also, just not the same as the down pipes.

I was going to install them myself, but I know my work schedule wouldn't allow me to this because afterwards, I had to go to work to prepare for when I leave out again. So, I went to the same place Spinny had is installed and really glad I did. They got me right in and went to war. The guy who did the install used to work on Ferrari, Lambo, and Bently cars so I was comfortable with him especially since I knew how to do it myself and watched the whole time. After tearing into the motor, both pipes along with new gaskets were quickly in and before we knew it was ready for a start up. The process is pretty straight forward.

When they fired up the motor, I was blown away at the cold start. I was like Fuck sake that's loud. I had the biggest on my face as they did too. You just couldn't help it. At home I will be like please don't let the neighbors beat me up. Part of that was because we were in the building. Don't matter because regardless anyone with catless can attest to how loud the cold start is outside.

Upon leaving, the one thing I notice was how quite the car was inside. It was just slightly louder than before. Remember I am also running Rpi Gtm straight pipes. So the car retained it's friendly nature. Off I was and ready to hear the damn thing roar! And boy did it. When I took off the thing barked between gears. I mean really really barked and again I was like those boys who I spoke to weren't mucking around. They warned me about playing with the upper gears. All the guys ams videos and Daves videos are spot on with the way these things pop between the gears. FUCKN INSANE! I said to myself, if I stay within the range I'll be ok with the family. But the hell with that. You guys know me. I'm all about the foot plant. The car was sounding off and I had to give to Rpi for making another good product for the masses. Just like HR did with their springs for the F10 M5.

When I returned home my wife as always said she could hear me when I'm close. After we drove the car, she said she didn't notice anything different at all. That was a plus. But outside the car the sound is where it is all business. This is my 4th day with these downpipes and it just keeps getting better and better. The down shifts are just as insane as the upshifts. Cracks and pops. I'll tell you how to get a laugh. Your coming to a stop at a redlight when people are there waiting to cross a street. You downshift way before you get there and you have everyones attention. Some guys cover their mouth and point at your car like damn did you hear that. Their grinning from ear to ear. I have gotten so many thumbs up on the sound. It really turns heads. I thought with just the straightpipes it turned heads, but this is no comparison. Again, outside the car is a little louder, inside very quite until you put the foot down. All hell breaks loose inside the car. Fuckn badazz. Dave said this car with downpipes will sound like a race car and he was spot on. After watching his videos and some of the Ams, I decided to go with Rpi since I'm a valued customer. AND NOW FOR A COMMERCIAL BREAK. Trinity Autosports and Rpi are good guys to work with. I say again, Trinity Autosports and Rpi are good guys to work with. You cant go wrong with them for your buying needs. PLUG!!!!!

I'm glad I decided to do the damn thing. I just cant believe that the upshifts, downshifts are so danm crazy I cant explain just how racy they sound. I even scurred a couple of people while down shifting. Wasn't my purpose, but hey it gets addicting and honestly it was funny.

Now you will get that stupid cel. I got mine after about 50 miles. It will not hinder your car at all. We just need a tune to take it away and honestly I don't how these programmer guros haven't figured it out yet. Hurry up guys. As I was told, it will take your ecu apporox 500-1000 miles to adjust. My car already had a brain fart yesterday, but I wont get into that.

For anyone who does decide to take the plunge on buying a new dp, we now have a few companies to choose from. They are all good too. That's what makes this fun. Sharing different peoples experience, building on that, and helping those who need a little push like I did. Again another happy Rpi customer. Hats off to everyone who helped me on this topic.
RPI Fuck the world!

Boots
Attached Images

Country run

Last edited by boots; 01-13-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Video or BAN!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

I know that's right!

Country run
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

great stuff bro keep enjoying it =)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Thats the way bro!!!!
#YOLO
i am glad we both went FULL RETARD and joined Dave and others round here!
Crazy, mental, etc, no words can describe!
Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

I see you got the scoops, B. Any pics of your install? Not sure if these will fit behind night vision module.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Send then in one hour Kevin when I get home

Country run
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F13 M6 Coupe

Time to update those country runs. First thing I watched when I got m5 lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Lol. I will do that for you tomorrow. Lol

Country run
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #10
SVJ
Private
India
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

great review bro & congrats on the new downpipes!! im sure it must be sounding nuts
      01-14-2014, 05:23 AM   #11
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

@ Grigory yea man full retardation in full effect. I'm glad we did this too. The sound is amazing and makes it a whole different car to drive. Svj is next! There will be a video later on in the week.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #12
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Man, I gotta drive down to Houston sometime to see all your setups... Sounds cool and I want to see those scoops installed too.
      01-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Pilot ck pm

Country run
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:11 AM   #14
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Can I install RPI downpipes with the stock exhausts? Since the downpipes give the most power gain, I figured this would be the best thing to do...

I am scared it might be toooo loud though
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:31 AM   #15
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Please let me know what you mean by stupid cel? I hope its not a warning light or something?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #16
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
Can I install RPI downpipes with the stock exhausts? Since the downpipes give the most power gain, I figured this would be the best thing to do...

I am scared it might be toooo loud though
Inside your car will still be quite at all normal driving. Its a hint louder. Plant the foot different story. You'll like it. Yes it can be installed w stock exhaust

Country run
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #17
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
Please let me know what you mean by stupid cel? I hope its not a warning light or something?
Yes check engine light. Doesn't effect the car when driving

Country run
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #18
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

I'm putting together a video for boots with his new setup. I should have it done today or tomorrow. I think he said he just left for the oil rig for another few weeks.

It should be noted that Boots has the RPi GTM exhaust v2.0 which includes the resonators in the section 2 of the exhaust. I am running full catless downpipes with the RPi GTM exhaust v1.0 that does NOT include the resonators in the section 2. I can tell in the videos I have seen so far that Boots has sent me, that it is a lot quieter in the cabin exactly as he has described it. Without the resonators there is a lot more drone and is noticeably louder inside of the cabin. I've taken people for rides in my car who have never heard drone before and they have asked if that is normal. As far as I can tell, with the resonators the exhaust sound isn't as raw.

It's funny because I noticed the same thing on the E60 M5. When I had my E60 M5 I was running a Full RPi Stage 2 with the RPi GT Catless Headers and the RPi GT exhaust system, which did NOT include the resonators. I rode in other friends cars with Full RPi Stage 2 setups, but they were running with the RPi GTS exhaust system which did include the resonators. The difference was almost night and day, keep in mind that both E60 M5's I'm talking about here were running with catless headers, so both were loud! But my setup without the resonators was much much louder, especially inside of the cabin. With the Catless Headers and no resonators, the drone was absolutely insanely crazy. A normal person would not have been able to deal with it. It is still to this day the craziest amount of drone I have ever heard. In the F10 M5 without the resonators it is in fact annoying at times, but no where near as bad as the E60 M5 with Catless Headers and no resonators. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #19
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

interesting, what brand are the catted DPs? The should be perfect for me. Quieter than the catless Dps.
Appreciate 0