M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #111
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
So? This is completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand. Apple doesn't invent. Period. See? I can make funny statements as well.

Why do you think I care who owns the market? Are you implying that Apple products are unobtainable? Can only be purchased by birthright? I'm not understanding your point.

I CHOOSE not to own an iPhone. Trust me, this isn't penis envy.

Yeah, I'm looking at my phone. Looking at the icons Xerox invented, the touchscreen G. Samuel Hurst invented. Apple just took it all and wrapped it into a nice little package - a design that they stole from Sony.

Have a great day...
I know all about that phone...it didn't work because it was garbage execution. Again, software and hardware integration.

Don't minimize it by saying "Apple just took it" and "nice little package." This changed the world. That's my point. Every example you have doesn't equal an iPhone. iPhone is what started it all. It's like saying who cares what they did because they didn't invent batteries. Irrelevant. It's all about execution and Apple invented the modern smartphone with their flawless design and execution. Even time travel is going to be built on previous inventions, but the person who executes it will get the credit.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #112
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Blue texts > green texts
I can change the color of my texts, does that count?

But really, WhatsApp>>blue/green texts
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #113
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Blue texts > green texts
Sheeple spotted. Everyone knows red text is where it's at. Red text is the middle finger to the Man.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #114
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
If Apple hadn't stolen Xerox's GUI + pointing device, we wouldn't have the mouse and keyboard that we know of in modern desktop computing today. We would have the keyboard forward design that we know of in laptops today. We wouldn't have the modern smart phone that we know of today.

Apple is not invention. They aren't just about innovation. They are about design... having a vision and making something that is actually useable and relevant for humanity. It's their designs that innovate, not the technology that is inside a pocket size glass/metal sandwich.

From what you said, I totally agree with you. Apple has made a huge impact in society. They are about revolutionizing and evolving... never about pure invention. Those are two very different key points that a lot of people seem to misunderstand.
That's so stupid. It's not just about completely inventing new technologies every day. MOST technology is based on very old technology, electricity, magnetism, etc, etc. You can say everything is crap because people like Tesla/Edison are the REAL inventors/discoverers. Oh a car? How stupid, it wasn't like they INVENTED THE WHEEL!!!

Is everything BMW has done just crap because it's not the Model T? Execution is way more important than inventing some technology that isn't used properly or implemented well.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #115
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
What Apple (or Steve Jobs) understood was to bridge the gap between users of technology and the hardware. He designed products that used technology and human nature harmoniously (or that was the "vision").

Prior to the iPhone or even iPod, technology gadgets were just for geeks/nerds. Apple made it mainstream with nice, easy UIs, inputs (scrolling wheel for iPod), etc. And they marketed the F*** out of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #116
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Quote:
Blue texts > green texts
Sheeple spotted. Everyone knows red text is where it's at. Red text is the middle finger to the Man.
Naw blue is where it's at. An iPhone would make you happier.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #117
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
That's so stupid. It's not just about completely inventing new technologies every day. MOST technology is based on very old technology, electricity, magnetism, etc, etc. You can say everything is crap because people like Tesla/Edison are the REAL inventors/discoverers. Oh a car? How stupid, it wasn't like they INVENTED THE WHEEL!!!

Is everything BMW has done just crap because it's not the Model T? Execution is way more important than inventing some technology that isn't used properly or implemented well.
How is that stupid? That is how Apple works. They take existing technologies that need to be improved on or aren't utilized in a real-world manner. You're assuming that I'm making this sound like it's a bad thing, but I'm not. I commend Apple for it. That is why I use their products and am fully invested in their ecosystem. Apple has one thing that most companies seem to lack... vision. While other companies like to take new technologies and throw it against a wall and see what sticks, Apple takes the time to make sure that a certain technology/feature is mature enough or has the potential to create a great experience; not for utilizing technology for technology sake.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #118
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal f80 View Post
X for Xpensive apparently from what ive read
The Note 8 is $960.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/smar...MPug&gclsrc=ds

Why is nobody talking about the price of that? This is based on a device of the previous model that exploded and cost them billions of dollars. Now, that's a joke. Oh, and I hope you don't own one of their exploding washing machines.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
BayMoWe3351195.00
      09-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #119
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
After thinking about this more, I think the unspoken secret is that Apple doesn’t want you to own a phone anymore. You are essentially leasing it, only to trade it in after 12-24 months. The idea is that you only pay for half the phone, then trade it for the next generation device.....and keep paying every single month.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:13 PM   #120
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
After thinking about this more, I think the unspoken secret is that Apple doesn’t want you to own a phone anymore. You are essentially leasing it, only to trade it in after 12-24 months. The idea is that you only pay for half the phone, then trade it for the next generation device.....and keep paying every single month.
Please. Samsung does the same thing. All the wireless companies pretty much went away with subsidizing phones.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:29 PM   #121
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.88]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.90]
2019 i3 BEV  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
It's almost guaranteeing a repeat customer. Smart. Software companies are doing this more and more as well.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 11:26 PM   #122
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
The Note 8 is $960.

Why is nobody talking about the price of that? This is based on a device of the previous model that exploded and cost them billions of dollars. Now, that's a joke. Oh, and I hope you don't own one of their exploding washing machines.
yea that's correct if the note was called note x I would have said the same thing.. note Xpensive. I'm surprised hipster tight jeans starbucks kids are actually complaining about the price of their precious apple product. and yes I'm jumping ship to the note 8 after having a company android for the past few months.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:06 AM   #123
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.88]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.90]
2019 i3 BEV  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal f80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
The Note 8 is $960.

yea that's correct if the note was called note x I would have said the same thing.. note Xpensive. I'm surprised hipster tight jeans starbucks kids are actually complaining about the price of their precious apple product. and yes I'm jumping ship to the note 8 after having a company android for the past few months.
To people complaining about the iPhone X price: you don't have to buy it.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 01:57 AM   #124
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
To people complaining about the iPhone X price: you don't have to buy it.
I'm guessing most of the Android users complaining about it are low to moderate end users. Then again I've talked to users that have a Galaxy Edge+, Note and they say the same thing. Pricing is about the same and the build quality isn't as good as Apple. The iPhone 7 is faster than the Note 8 and that gap will only get bigger with 8, 8+, and X. Tight integration with their OS and hardware, iPhones will always be faster. Not to mention companies like Samsung, LG etc add their own skins, features on top of Android, which are resource hogs. I can't wait for the iPhone X.

Last edited by hongsc; 09-14-2017 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 06:56 AM   #125
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:

You're contradicting yourself. If we're following your logic, BMW invented the car...the Model T was just a stupid old idea that didn't work, just like the Benz Patent Motor Car, right? Cars were trash until BMW "invented" the way the existing technologies were integrated together.

I've owned a lot of BMWs and if anything, BMW is the Android of the car world...too soon?

Quote:
I know all about that phone...it didn't work because it was garbage execution. Again, software and hardware integration.

Don't minimize it by saying "Apple just took it" and "nice little package." This changed the world. That's my point. Every example you have doesn't equal an iPhone. iPhone is what started it all. It's like saying who cares what they did because they didn't invent batteries. Irrelevant. It's all about execution and Apple invented the modern smartphone with their flawless design and execution. Even time travel is going to be built on previous inventions, but the person who executes it will get the credit.
I didn't minimize it, I already said multiple times that they revolutionized the smartphone. You just chose to ignore what I said, got defensive, and latched on the fact that I called Apple innovators, not inventors.

I don't own stock in either so I don't give a shit either way, I buy what appeals to me...and it's always been Android. Maybe I like the underdog, IDK.

Like I said, my wife would rather die than use an Android phone, and that's fine. I understand, and can see why anyone would chose either way. Isn't having a choice a great thing? Let's just relish that.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2017, 07:03 AM   #126
HighlyMedicated
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m340ix

I am surprised so many do mention the price when we all drive an expensive car from a luxury brand. Not upgrading a phone? You must not be using the apps or care for the camera or other features each ios provides, just texting and calling like an old nokia. It may not be much from each ios but the phones are upgraded to also handle the ios as well to perform fast and smoothly. ios11 will lag on some parts for the 7 but i hate any lag. Time is money and everything adds up, like savings for retirement instead of splurging on a new model high end performance machine. Someones on a iphone 5, you should be driving a E46 not an F82. You use a phone more than a transport vehicle. Be consistant with your lifestyle and stay in your lane. If you are complaing of the price you shouldn't buy such an expensive car so you can do more things such as invest, travel, eat healthier, buy more useful items for your family and on and on. You can also pay the phone monthly at $50 anyways, credit is the best way to reach the american dream, unless you have a killer idea like draftkings.com and sell shares to venture capitalists. I'm sure you can afford $50 a month if $1000-1300 is too much for youo. If you want speed in a car an E46 modified will compete as well as our car and also be cheaper. If you like the looks and luxury part thats what apple does. Everyone wants to pretend they are rich or is rich so people don't judge, unfortunately thats just how our socierty is, so they go for certain brands that have established that over time. Samsung has the most cell phones owned in the world but thats because they give away free phones when you sign up or so many models and products that they fail to be the top product in any but went for internal parts for others since they make it better than them.

Iphone 8 and X phone screens are samsungs btw lol. You can debate about apple and samsung, just like bmw and Mercedes just someones own preference so not hate just appreciate!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #127
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyMedicated View Post
I am surprised so many do mention the price when we all drive an expensive car from a luxury brand. Not upgrading a phone? You must not be using the apps or care for the camera or other features each ios provides, just texting and calling like an old nokia. It may not be much from each ios but the phones are upgraded to also handle the ios as well to perform fast and smoothly. ios11 will lag on some parts for the 7 but i hate any lag. Time is money and everything adds up, like savings for retirement instead of splurging on a new model high end performance machine. Someones on a iphone 5, you should be driving a E46 not an F82. You use a phone more than a transport vehicle. Be consistant with your lifestyle and stay in your lane. If you are complaing of the price you shouldn't buy such an expensive car so you can do more things such as invest, travel, eat healthier, buy more useful items for your family and on and on. You can also pay the phone monthly at $50 anyways, credit is the best way to reach the american dream, unless you have a killer idea like draftkings.com and sell shares to venture capitalists. I'm sure you can afford $50 a month if $1000-1300 is too much for youo. If you want speed in a car an E46 modified will compete as well as our car and also be cheaper. If you like the looks and luxury part thats what apple does. Everyone wants to pretend they are rich or is rich so people don't judge, unfortunately thats just how our socierty is, so they go for certain brands that have established that over time. Samsung has the most cell phones owned in the world but thats because they give away free phones when you sign up or so many models and products that they fail to be the top product in any but went for internal parts for others since they make it better than them.

Iphone 8 and X phone screens are samsungs btw lol. You can debate about apple and samsung, just like bmw and Mercedes just someones own preference so not hate just appreciate!

huh
Appreciate 3
zx10guy5470.50
geogerf116.50
      09-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #128
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
huh
I had the same reaction and then I saw his forum name.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #129
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I had the same reaction and then I saw his forum name.
I just read your sig hahahahaha!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #130
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

The price to me doesn't sound so terrible when you consider all the purposes the phone can serve. I've had my latest iPhone for a couple years now and it's certainly been worth more than $1k to me in that time. It's an absolute lifeline for self employed, work from home people such as myself.

I don't plan on buying this new one, for the simple fact my old phone is still functioning perfectly, but if it were to break I'd have no issues paying $1k for a replacement.

The best part about the $1k price? If you don't want to pay that, you don't have to. It's science.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #131
shay2nak
smoke if ya got 'em
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/Lotus Exige/500 Abarth

Would have been nice if Apple released a 4.3/4.7" version.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #132
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Facts are 67% of the world market is Android users which equates to something like 330,000,000 compared to Apples 70 mill registered phones.

I had both platforms and I got rid of the apple every time. It just can't be customized enough for someone who travels and works from their phone to make it a keeper.

Apple innovates, never replicates and leads?? LMAO. Please. First smart phone? Maybe you weren't old enough to recognize the Palm phones or even the older blackberries. How about the sidekick?
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0