M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

07-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #67
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
Interesting perspective. Completely different to what I felt. What settings were you driving in? Was it a S Package?

I drive a M6 GC daily, and the E 63 felt quicker. I didn't drive it for hours so I can't attain to the overheating problem. Nevertheless the E 63 was driven hard for an entire day on the AMG Driving Tour, and it only cut power from overheating once. I drove it for a total of 6 laps, (3 sessions of 2 laps) with different settings, one in Sport, the other in Sport Plus, and lastly in Race.

I also find it odd the remark regarding the transmission gear change time. I am not saying it is as fast as M-DCT, but it is pretty quick, in fact my company car is a Passat 2.0 TSI with a DSG box, and I can easily say that the 9 speed MCT is quicker than DSG, which is a very quick double clutch.

The pig handling I can understand that it feels like a heavy car, but my M6 also feels like a pretty heavy beast. I can understand the fact that you possibly found the E63 had more understeer when the gas pedal is mashed mid-corner if compared to the M5, but the rest of the remarks differ severely from my experience. Nevertheless you had quite a lot more sitting time, and you are a more experience track driver than I am.

It will be interesting to see the response from more people to get the general consensus from everyone that has driven the car.

My daily commuter and its amazing fuel consumption lol

Attachment 1652955

Attachment 1652956
M6 is a heavy car with no doubt but M6 Couple FEELS much lighter, more agile and is smaller than M6 GC. Having said that, I never felt my M6 Coupe was a pig. Never drove it on race track but pushed it to the limit several times "in backyard or Mexican freeways as Vic55 always say " ; however now that I am driving M4, I admit beside the power and torque and of course the luxurious and beauty of M6, she is not even close to M4 in term of agility.
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #68
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
M6 is a heavy car with no doubt but M6 Couple FEELS much lighter, more agile and is smaller than M6 GC. Having said that, I never felt my M6 Coupe was a pig. Never drove it on race track but pushed it to the limit several times "in backyard or Mexican freeways as Vic55 always say " ; however now that I am driving M4, I admit beside the power and torque and of course the luxurious and beauty of M6, she is not even close to M4 in term of agility.
Nor should she be with the weight disparity. Dampers could help though and thats where the Airmatic might be a concern. Conversely, my Ferrari FF with the magnetorheologicals was shocking in the handling department (in a good way) with its neutral feel in the highest of speed corners. But lets all remember what we are talking about and not try to lump it into a true "handling" car segment. At best its a Luxo/GT style cruiser with excellent handling characteristics for a 4500 plus pound car. I for one, will not create expectations otherwise.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #69
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Ill finally get to drive one at the end of this month or the start of August stateside. I have a few MBZ contacts so I should get a decent amount of time behind the wheel like I was afforded with the C63S and GTS.
Lucky you! It's good to see you so excited about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #70
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Lucky you! It's good to see you so excited about it.
Haaaaa come on now, you know me; its another car but I do have an elevated sense of excitement because I have had so many iterations of E AMG's"

W210
W211
2 W212's (sedan and estate)

Plus the different engines associated with each W212.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #71
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
I was hoping to love this car, as it does look freaking awesome and interior with infotainment system are great. But i have spent couple hours on track with it and I have managed to overheat both gearbox and turbos (I did not do it on purpose, I was using it as I would use my M5 on track), car was lacking power above 4k rpms 3rd+ gear and changes were crazy slow.
It is a pig, I did not enjoy handling even compared with stock non competition M5 and I of course dont even need to mention AMG GTs handling.
Also i did not feel car being 3.Xs 0-100 fast.

I am well disappointed with the car. I had WOW factor jumping in the car in the morning and was happy to hand keys back. It did not feel fast whatsoever. Also seats are extremely comfy and soft, but they do not hold you in like M5 M-Multifunctional Seats do. You get wobbled around left and right. Only part i enjoyed was going sideways with shitloads of smoke!

Nonetheless I am still willing to buy E43 or E300 with AMG styling and fully loaded interior for daily and upgrade my beast to F90 once LCI is out.

This is the perfect car if you can have 1 car only, you have proper winter with snow falls and shitloads of traffic.
Interesting perspective. Completely different to what I felt. What settings were you driving in? Was it a S Package?

I drive a M6 GC daily, and the E 63 felt quicker. I didn't drive it for hours so I can't attain to the overheating problem. Nevertheless the E 63 was driven hard for an entire day on the AMG Driving Tour, and it only cut power from overheating once. I drove it for a total of 6 laps, (3 sessions of 2 laps) with different settings, one in Sport, the other in Sport Plus, and lastly in Race.

I also find it odd the remark regarding the transmission gear change time. I am not saying it is as fast as M-DCT, but it is pretty quick, in fact my company car is a Passat 2.0 TSI with a DSG box, and I can easily say that the 9 speed MCT is quicker than DSG, which is a very quick double clutch.

The pig handling I can understand that it feels like a heavy car, but my M6 also feels like a pretty heavy beast. I can understand the fact that you possibly found the E63 had more understeer when the gas pedal is mashed mid-corner if compared to the M5, but the rest of the remarks differ severely from my experience. Nevertheless you had quite a lot more sitting time, and you are a more experience track driver than I am.

It will be interesting to see the response from more people to get the general consensus from everyone that has driven the car.

My daily commuter and its amazing fuel consumption lol

Attachment 1652955

Attachment 1652956
I did enjoy the gearbox when it was around normal temperature figures, however once it was overheated even if i shifted in yellow zone, it would simply hit the limiter! During operating temps I could shift in red zone and it was flawless. I have driven in all mods, including race.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #72
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Ill finally get to drive one at the end of this month or the start of August stateside. I have a few MBZ contacts so I should get a decent amount of time behind the wheel like I was afforded with the C63S and GTS.
Its amazing cruiser and highway miles cruncher for sure!
I can also be subjective as i compare it with m5 that does 62-124 in 5.7s-5.9s and stock e63s doesnt come even close to that time.
But like i said, no hate here, just my feel and opinion. Could it have had restricted power as it had less than 1000 miles?
LC was working

Latest command is unbelievable, i think i even like it more than NBT EVO
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #73
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Haaaaa come on now, you know me; its another car but I do have an elevated sense of excitement because I have had so many iterations of E AMG's"

W210
W211
2 W212's (sedan and estate)

Plus the different engines associated with each W212.
Yeah but you normally get excited about cars after they hit the lots. I can anticipate you becoming a car orderer soon!

I'm looking forward to your review of this one!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #74
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

I really hope the new M5 can WoW me to take the 1st bay because it's open for grabs next summer. Bays 2 and 3 are solid long term keepers that my son will inherit as I have no plans to sell. The only way I will move the RS is for another RS good trade bait, but Porsche prices are going through the roof. Should be a safe bet with the Spyder only made in 2016 with the 991S motor and other goodies. Thus, leaves the M cars what can they do to step up or will AMG when bay 1
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
gmfive98.00
josec704074.00
CarlosM4411.00
      07-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #75
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
I did enjoy the gearbox when it was around normal temperature figures, however once it was overheated even if i shifted in yellow zone, it would simply hit the limiter! During operating temps I could shift in red zone and it was flawless. I have driven in all mods, including race.
Interesting. I will drive the car in September for a longer period and I will decide then if it will substitute my M6 GC or not. My first impression was very positive, to my eyes it was far better than what I was expecting
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #76
gmfive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 AW

Garage List
2014 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
I really hope the new M5 can WoW me to take the 1st bay because it's open for grabs next summer. Bays 2 and 3 are solid long term keepers that my son will inherit as I have no plans to sell. The only way I will move the RS is for another RS good trade bait, but Porsche prices are going through the roof. Should be a safe bet with the Spyder only made in 2016 with the 991S motor and other goodies. Thus, leaves the M cars what can they do to step up or will AMG when bay 1
Garage looks fantastic. You are somehow able to drive the beasts and still keep the floor that clean.

I have this beast in one of my bays now and man, it is such a blast. Puts a smile on my face every single time :-)
Attached Images

07-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #77
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfive View Post
Garage looks fantastic. You are somehow able to drive the beasts and still keep the floor that clean.

I have this beast in one of my bays now and man, it is such a blast. Puts a smile on my face every single time :-)
Nice! Had one of those and fell never got the never again! The garage is a anal thing for me it has to stay clean, and I wash the floor every so often. It's a great expoxy job I had done last year easy to clean.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #78
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Great garage. Love the Boxster Spyder. One of the best cars Porsche has ever made, a pity it is not as appreciated as it should be. I believe soon people will begin to appreciate these babies and prices will sky-rocket.

The GT3RS there is no need for further introductions. It is just bloody brilliant
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #79
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Great garage. Love the Boxster Spyder. One of the best cars Porsche has ever made, a pity it is not as appreciated as it should be. I believe soon people will begin to appreciate these babies and prices will sky-rocket.

The GT3RS there is no need for further introductions. It is just bloody brilliant
Thanks man. The Spyders used are trading about 5% to 6% spec'd with LWB seats now. I think the secret is out, and it could be the last because of the turbo era. I got lucky and found the perfect spec for me.

Last edited by Bimmer6; 07-10-2017 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
CarlosM4411.00
      07-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #80
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Dude, that Spyder is wonderful! One of the best cars ever! My friend has a 2016 and let me drive it. He also put an exhaust on it and that almost nothing comes close to nimbleness of that chassis and excitement from that engine. Definitely a keeper, I understand why they are selling for above MSRP used.

But yeah, let's place some bets on the next M5. Will it better than the E63S? I think it will be but only slightly, and that will only be in the handling of the car on the racetrack where due its lighter weight the M5 will achieve a better lap time than the E63S, but that will be its only strength over the E63S. Every other factor will be nearly identical, from infotainment, to sound system, luxuriousness, comfort, and utility.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #81
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Dude, that Spyder is wonderful! One of the best cars ever! My friend has a 2016 and let me drive it. He also put an exhaust on it and that almost nothing comes close to nimbleness of that chassis and excitement from that engine. Definitely a keeper, I understand why they are selling for above MSRP used.

But yeah, let's place some bets on the next M5. Will it better than the E63S? I think it will be but only slightly, and that will only be in the handling of the car on the racetrack where due its lighter weight the M5 will achieve a better lap time than the E63S, but that will be its only strength over the E63S. Every other factor will be nearly identical, from infotainment, to sound system, luxuriousness, comfort, and utility.
Yup, they do drive fantastic and it was a sleeper in the market now you can't find the damn things. Agree with you on the M vs. AMG, but I'm not a lap time guy with 4K lbs cars just feels like a bus and not fun. Tires also are t made for turbo beating nor the brakes. I may sit on the side lines and watch, and my four door will be my SUV. Fun cars RS and Spyder
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 04:34 AM   #82
gmfive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 AW

Garage List
2014 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I think the E is a great car but I just can't get past the mercedes styling. The only merc I would like to be seen in is the AMG GTS. Just a personal choice and from talking to my friends, there seem to be a sizable number of folks with this preference.

Someone put it like this: "the mercedes cars just have that garish look-at-me type "cheap" feeling". No offense merc lovers and I realize that this is a purely taste/subjective thing.

The M5 is a complete antithesis to this image - it looks really understated with rather boring and dull lines. I'm obviously a huge fan :-) I think Aston Martin have similarly understated design language for some of their cars like the gorgeous Vantage (most folks will barely notice the v12 vantage-s in say the hammerhead silver color).
      07-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #83
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Latest SA just came out, not exactly a full supertest but some figures and track time. With 1.11.6 on Hockenheim, the E63 S is the new king of the class.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
gmfive98.00
CarlosM4411.00
      07-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #84
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Latest SA just came out, not exactly a full supertest but some figures and track time. With 1.11.6 on Hockenheim, the E63 S is the new king of the class.
Thanks for posting! Very very interesting! That 1:11.6 time is impressive. For reference the F10 M5 got a 1:12.9 on Hockenheim. That was a Non-Comp Package M5 too. For the Merc E63S to get a 1:11.6 is very good. Now we'll have to wait for the F90 M5 to drive Hockenheim.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613177

However in this other test by Sport Auto, the non-CP F10 M5 got a 1:13.4 but they tested a Comp Package F10 M5 1:13.0. Weird.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1025417

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #85
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfive View Post
I think the E is a great car but I just can't get past the mercedes styling. The only merc I would like to be seen in is the AMG GTS. Just a personal choice and from talking to my friends, there seem to be a sizable number of folks with this preference.

Someone put it like this: "the mercedes cars just have that garish look-at-me type "cheap" feeling". No offense merc lovers and I realize that this is a purely taste/subjective thing.

The M5 is a complete antithesis to this image - it looks really understated with rather boring and dull lines. I'm obviously a huge fan :-) I think Aston Martin have similarly understated design language for some of their cars like the gorgeous Vantage (most folks will barely notice the v12 vantage-s in say the hammerhead silver color).
Agree with your assessment, I just don't want to buy the same car twice
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #86
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post

Impressive. Beats the Panamera Turbo by 1/10th of a second. Same lap-time as an AMG GT. Very quick, it also beats the M6 GC Competition Package with CCB by 4/10ths. Very nice result. I believe this car can lap the Nurburgring in a sub 7:45 time. I guess we will have to wait and see. Nevertheless the Panamera Turbo MK2 is a beast. Got to drive one recently (from a friend, as Porsche here won't even let you test-drive it), and it is a spectacular car. 2tonnes but it feels agile, light and nimble. Pretty absurd given its mass and size.

Plenty of respect for AMG and their latest models.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #87
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for posting! Very very interesting! That 1:11.6 time is impressive. For reference the F10 M5 got a 1:12.9 on Hockenheim. That was a Non-Comp Package M5 too. For the Merc E63S to get a 1:11.6 is very good. Now we'll have to wait for the F90 M5 to drive Hockenheim.

However in this other test by Sport Auto, the non-CP F10 M5 got a 1:13.4 but they tested a Comp Package F10 M5 1:13.0. Weird.

Different Track temperatures, and also different tyres possibly. Another factor that helps the AMG put its power down well is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre. This tyre is just a whole new ball game compared to PSS.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #88
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Different Track temperatures, and also different tyres possibly. Another factor that helps the AMG put its power down well is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre. This tyre is just a whole new ball game compared to PSS.
Great point about the tires. I forgot about that.

Appreciate 0