BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Funny new noise...identify it?

So I just got my car back from the body shop after some $#$%$#%@ rear-ended me. Now I notice as I drive a new noise that I didn't before. I would love some help identifying it.

When I am on the throttle and let off I hear what sounds like a short sucking/vacuum sound coming from behind me to the left. It is similar in character to the BOV actuating, but sounds more like a short sucking sound rather than a blowing sound (please withhold a oral sex jokes until the end), and it sounds like it is coming from behind be (and to the left) rather than under the hood. It isn't loud, and I can't really hear it with the stereo going, but on a BT phone call or silent cockpit, I hear it very distinctly.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

Could it be the vacuum tube for the exhaust flapper valve? If you look underneath the car right by the muffler there is a vacuum tube attached to the exhaust. See if that is loose.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
Could it be the vacuum tube for the exhaust flapper valve? If you look underneath the car right by the muffler there is a vacuum tube attached to the exhaust. See if that is loose.
I have been thinking something along those lines, but wasn't sure where to look. I'll start there.
I have also noticed that the exhaust seems to sound better at idle since the accident, which could be the result of the flapper valve being perpetually open.

If that is the case, is there any negative effect to just leaving it that way? Would the lack of a closed loop in the vacuum cause problems somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Ahhh, some follow-up and I am realizing that this is essentially the golf-tee mod about which so much has been written. Sounds like that's what I've got, minus the plug effect of the golf tee.
Now all I need is some wire and a golf tee.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k
Ahhh, some follow-up and I am realizing that this is essentially the golf-tee mod about which so much has been written. Sounds like that's what I've got, minus the plug effect of the golf tee.
Now all I need is some wire and a golf tee.
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

You gotta love happy accidents!
My body shop must have just left the tube disconnected.
Appreciate 0