M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Consumer Reports does a 180 on Tesla

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...020-story.html
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Yeah, they are saying their first ratings that "broke records" were based solely on performance and driving and didn't factor in reliability. Now that reliability is factored in they no longer recommend the car. Hard to imagine anyone didn't get the impression the thought the car was reliable when they called it the best car they ever tested. Also hard to believe the reliability issues are only affecting their recommendation now.
      10-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
Mamyf30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30

something fishy going on...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

More like something Musky
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Time to release another new feature to distract the media.
      10-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Time to release another new feature to distract the media.
Ultra super duper stupendous knock yo mama to the floor mode ????
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Ultra super duper stupendous knock yo mama to the floor mode ????
Yes, but beta.
      10-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #8
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Since recommendation requires at least average reliability, even if everything else is stellar, below average reliability removes recommendation.

Bad news for Tesla today. Will see how Tesla cars' reliability measure changes as more data becomes available.

I mean there has only been like positive news, so a neg news is getting a lot of attention.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #9
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
More like something Musky
Haha... Very punny.
      10-21-2015, 06:31 AM   #10
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Anyone read R&T? Lutz is not big on Tesla either, but for different reasons.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #11
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Anyone read R&T? Lutz is not big on Tesla either, but for different reasons.
I saw that too. I agree with him on the reasons he cites and am not surprised by the quality issues noted by CR - just their timing of figuring it out.

The company is a start-up with a cult following and fantastic PR effort hitting society at exactly the right time. IMO, if they survive as a manufacturer, it will be many years before they become a mainstream, mass producer of cars.

I have long thought they would be a much better company if they licensed / sold their technology to a wide range of automakers - much like ZF with transmissions. Maybe they tried and were turned away from all but a few. Maybe they are selling cars now to prove their technology with the long-term unstated goal of being a supplier instead of a car manufacturer. Hard to tell - but it would make more sense to me if they could execute and get other manufacturers to buy from them instead of competing with them.
      10-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #12
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
I saw that too. I agree with him on the reasons he cites and am not surprised by the quality issues noted by CR - just their timing of figuring it out.

The company is a start-up with a cult following and fantastic PR effort hitting society at exactly the right time. IMO, if they survive as a manufacturer, it will be many years before they become a mainstream, mass producer of cars.

I have long thought they would be a much better company if they licensed / sold their technology to a wide range of automakers - much like ZF with transmissions. Maybe they tried and were turned away from all but a few. Maybe they are selling cars now to prove their technology with the long-term unstated goal of being a supplier instead of a car manufacturer. Hard to tell - but it would make more sense to me if they could execute and get other manufacturers to buy from them instead of competing with them.
Maybe but also not sure if a major manufacturer buys a Tesla and reverse engineers it if the technology is really worth what Tesla would want to sell it for. Window for doing anything may be closing as others are getting more into this market.

Some say Tesla will eventually be purchased by a major manufacturer but right now their stock price is way too high for anyone to consider it. Even Musk agrees the company is over valued.
      10-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Maybe but also not sure if a major manufacturer buys a Tesla and reverse engineers it if the technology is really worth what Tesla would want to sell it for. Window for doing anything may be closing as others are getting more into this market.

Some say Tesla will eventually be purchased by a major manufacturer but right now their stock price is way too high for anyone to consider it. Even Musk agrees the company is over valued.
True, it is also possible they haven't really done anything that innovative and there is no long-term value to their technology. I agree they no longer have the lead they were once perceived to have over everyone else.
      10-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #14
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Yeah, they are saying their first ratings that "broke records" were based solely on performance and driving and didn't factor in reliability. Now that reliability is factored in they no longer recommend the car. Hard to imagine anyone didn't get the impression the thought the car was reliable when they called it the best car they ever tested. Also hard to believe the reliability issues are only affecting their recommendation now.
They did this with the 135 too. It scored a 97 before the hpfp thing
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #15
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
They did this with the 135 too. It scored a 97 before the hpfp thing
This is why I don't put much stock in CR when they evaluate cars since it's the same magazine that rates toasters and vacuums.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #16
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

CR ratings don't mean much to me either. I once bought a fridge based on their recommendation; the next month they came out and said (paraphrased) 'our test regimen was flawed, nobody really stuffs the freezer full of boxes of frozen peas, the fridge you just bought is actually crap in the real world'. That same month they tested lawn tractors by seeing which one cut the best on a manicured football field - like that's anywhere near typical. They also did not take longevity into account at all, stuff like grease fittings and deck metal thickness. Something very cheap won that comparo. I let my subscription lapse and have not looked back.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #17
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

FWIW - my ex bought one a few months ago (I haven't seen it) and she's already had a motor(s?) replaced - no big deal it only cost around $100K

*There is a God
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

Musk said a over a year ago he wasn't going to enforce his patents...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #19
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
Quote:

Musk said a over a year ago he wasn't going to enforce his patents...
True that takes a pure licensing deal for existing technology off the table, but they could be a supplier of batteries and other components, like many other auto suppliers. I don't think it makes much sense manufacturing niche product cars and trying to sell them yourself with no dealer network, while competing with potential customers (other auto brands). I find it odd when the financial media compares Tesla gross margins to the rest of the industry that sells cars at wholesale prices to independent dealers, while ignoring the selling costs specific to Tesla, which has no dealer network.

Separately, I also struggle with the idea of releasing the autonomous driving software beta to the public. I hope no one gets hurt or killed: http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/23/auto...est/index.html
      10-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Separately, I also struggle with the idea of releasing the autonomous driving software beta to the public. I hope no one gets hurt or killed: http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/23/auto...est/index.html
With the caveat that I have no idea what is going on, but just the thought of autonomous driving software pisses me the hell off. Get off your f%#*$#! phone, get off your f%#*$#! iDumbass gadgets, and just DRIVE your f%#*$#! car.

I am SO sick of this tech garbage, nearly all of which is making us ignorant and less capable of doing things on our own. I noticed a couple months back my spelling in work emails was becoming lousy, so I turned off spell check and grammar check, forcing myself to proof read my own damned emails. I'm trying to get technology out of my life as much as possible now, but these sycophant drones I see all over the place, it makes me sick. They're like little missiles in grocery stores, looking down at their dumbass gadget, bowling people over. Little hunchbacks in the making, always crying and wondering why their backs/necks hurt.

F^$# Apple and their iDumbass gadgets, and F&^$ autonomous driving software.

DECLARE FREEDOM FROM THE MACHINES!!! ROAOAOAOAOORRR!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #21
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

I love Tesla's autopilot (AP) function and I am very satisfied. It performs its described function really well and makes driving on the highway a much more relaxed and pleasant experience. After experiencing it, every other way of actually driving yourself long distances on a highway that exists now is inferior.

However there are sets of people who are trying to test the system's current limits, or simply not following clearly specified instructions that you must accept when you turn on AP. The AP as it's currently implemented is meant to be only for divided highways where markings are clear and that the driver should always pay full attention.

When you do that, there are no issues, and the system performs very well.

Of course there are areas that need improvements, but that's always the case when you are the innovator and doing something no one else has done or dares to do. I do hope other car companies implement similar technologies in the near future tho. The more competition, the better things become.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #22
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
I love Tesla's autopilot (AP) function and I am very satisfied. It performs its described function really well and makes driving on the highway a much more relaxed and pleasant experience. After experiencing it, every other way of actually driving yourself long distances on a highway that exists now is inferior.

However there are sets of people who are trying to test the system's current limits, or simply not following clearly specified instructions that you must accept when you turn on AP. The AP as it's currently implemented is meant to be only for divided highways where markings are clear and that the driver should always pay full attention.

When you do that, there are no issues, and the system performs very well.

Of course there are areas that need improvements, but that's always the case when you are the innovator and doing something no one else has done or dares to do. I do hope other car companies implement similar technologies in the near future tho. The more competition, the better things become.
Ill keep the driving to my own free will thanks.
How will you feel when your autonomous car decides to veer your car off the cliff with your new wife and 1 yr old child because it is the lesser of the 2 evils, the other alternative is to run over a group of 10 blind orphaned paraplegic school girls with their equally blind puppies in their wheel chairs.
Appreciate 0