M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-19-2016, 05:40 PM   #1
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Told by Land Rover dealer to beat it...

...in so many words.

My wife and I are looking for something to replace our 2014 X3. Criteria are: larger, higher towing capacity, something we like, generally speaking (preferences trump rationality in some cases).

We drove a Range Rover Sport Diesel yesterday and really enjoyed it, but I was a little turned off by the no-haggle approach the salesman took. After the test drive we talked a little; he was friendly, professional, and knowledgeable. I asked where their sales typically landed on the Invoice to MSRP spectrum and he told me it's MSRP, no lower. I found this odd, but it's not unheard of for dealerships to do this. BMW has a less ultra-premium (?) lineup but still is a luxury brand... they discount all the time even on M cars.

I went shopping on Cars dot com and found a car similar to the one we would want (note: the local dealership doesn't have one fitting our color/options desires). I emailed asking for more info and got a response back stating <b>"thank you for your interest, but you are outside of our zone of responsibility, please see your local Land Rover dealership</b>

Are you kidding me? You won't sell a car to an out of tower? People travel far and wide, passing multiple dealerships along the way to get the car they want at a price they're comfortable with. What is this all about??? Has anyone else ever dealt with this? It's soooo bizarre to me. It honestly is a turnoff to the entire brand because I bet this comes from their higher-ups.

Thought I'd share for a laugh, if for nothing else.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
apsuard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

That seems very odd. You think they would want to offload inventory regardless of distance. I'm flying out this week to pick up a SQ5 for my wife and driving it 18 hours home. That is a little extreme but I'm picky with color/options.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

The thing with Rovers, especially diesels, is that they are selling like hot Krispy Kreme glazed donuts.

***Edit, one of the (many) problems with Rovers
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #4
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish
The thing with Rovers, especially diesels, is that they are selling like hot Krispy Kreme glazed donuts.

I don't understand how that would prevent a dealership from selling to someone who drives or flies in. strange to me.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Do yourself a favor and just stay away. Sorry to be so blunt, but the last thing I would ever want is another range rover.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #6
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Do yourself a favor and just stay away. Sorry to be so blunt, but the last thing I would ever want is another range rover.
Agreed. I think the dealers were certainly doing OP a favor.
      01-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #7
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03
Quote:

I don't understand how that would prevent a dealership from selling to someone who drives or flies in. strange to me.
My local dealer told me something similar. They only sell within a certain area. Also they are trying to avoid people buying them and exporting overseas to sell for huge profits.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03
Quote:

My local dealer told me something similar. They only sell within a certain area. Also they are trying to avoid people buying them and exporting overseas to sell for huge profits.
thanks for the idea! haha. I'm sure it's probably some corporate way of preventing people from having control over their car-buying situation.. which is increddddibly lame. most people buy locally, why stop the long distance guys such as our SQ5 friend above and my friend who drove 800miles for the 428i he wanted, haha. Kind of an "Apple-esque" move. My wife has dreamt of having a "Range" for a long time due to their visual appeal.. it would likely be a 3-4yr ownership. Not 100% turned off but this doesn't help the situation.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #9
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

yeah this crazy policy started due to people sending range rovers to china (allegedly) and is now one of the strangest things in the auto world. Even on used cars dealers essentially have to refer potential customers to that customer's local dealer. My brother bought an LR4 from out of state after finding away around their goofy rules, not sure what he did but I know it was painful and added a ton of time/effort to the process in addition to making him persona non grata at his local dealer. so lame.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2016, 10:21 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

This is a standard practice in the high end audio world. Manufacturers have a tight control over pricing and distribution. If dealers are caught selling outside of their market area, the manufacturers are known to pull product from the dealer. But this policy is definitely odd seeing in the automotive world.

Frankly, personally, I kind of like to see all automobile marques go to this. I rather not waste my time hunting around for the absolute best deal and constantly wondering if I left money on the table compared to someone else. But that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 11:02 PM   #11
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy
This is a standard practice in the high end audio world. Manufacturers have a tight control over pricing and distribution. If dealers are caught selling outside of their market area, the manufacturers are known to pull product from the dealer. But this policy is definitely odd seeing in the automotive world.

Frankly, personally, I kind of like to see all automobile marques go to this. I rather not waste my time hunting around for the absolute best deal and constantly wondering if I left money on the table compared to someone else. But that's just me.
that would be nice, but sometimes it's not just looking for the best price, but getting a ballpark discount, and MORE importantly trying to find the exact colors/options even if it's a little out of range (slight pun?) for dealer transfer. To Land Rover proper, why would they care WHERE I buy? maybe to help the smaller dealerships? but then it may frustrate and turn off some potential buyers (moi). Although most people likely accept it and buck up

The last car I paid MSRP for new was my Subaru STi in 2009. it was my first new car and Subaru does view those things as if they are Lewis Hamilton Paganis. No test drives, nothing off MSRP. lol. I don't mind paying MSRP if that's what the majority of people are doing (friends, family, staff discounts aside), but if most people are getting invoice, then dammit, that's what I want to pay. sue me.

Appreciate 1
      01-20-2016, 12:13 AM   #12
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
I had similar experiences when I was buying my 12 Sport. RR dealers dont seem to give a F*** They know their cars will sell regardless

When I went to test drive them the salesman just gave me the keys to 3 different trucks and said "Hey be back in a hour or so and let me know how you like them" He didnt really even try to sell them to me when I got back. It was actually pretty cool

I ended up just getting mine at auction for $$$ less then any dealers were willing to sell for. Dont buy a new RR they depreciate like crazy
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2016, 12:50 AM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
that would be nice, but sometimes it's not just looking for the best price, but getting a ballpark discount, and MORE importantly trying to find the exact colors/options even if it's a little out of range (slight pun?) for dealer transfer. To Land Rover proper, why would they care WHERE I buy? maybe to help the smaller dealerships? but then it may frustrate and turn off some potential buyers (moi). Although most people likely accept it and buck up

The last car I paid MSRP for new was my Subaru STi in 2009. it was my first new car and Subaru does view those things as if they are Lewis Hamilton Paganis. No test drives, nothing off MSRP. lol. I don't mind paying MSRP if that's what the majority of people are doing (friends, family, staff discounts aside), but if most people are getting invoice, then dammit, that's what I want to pay. sue me.
Don't get me wrong. I'm of the same mindset. If people are getting discounts, I want to also be getting the same. To me the MSRP thing is a total joke. I feel if everyone had to pay MSRP, there wouldn't be this adversarial situation between customer and salesperson. And what will differentiate buying from one dealership versus another is pure service.

For the record, I have never paid MSRP for any car and have never understood why anyone would pay more than MSRP.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2016, 05:05 AM   #14
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

This is very common practice in the wake boat world to not be allowed to sell out of territory (and if you buy a newer used one not from your territory dealer, you get poor service as a result).

Haven't heard of territory selling in the automotive world before. As for a RR, hope you like spending time at the dealership. Sure as hell don't BUY a new one as they tank in value. If you like spending your days at dealership service departments and they can give you a decent enough lease rate, then it might be worth a look.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #15
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird
This is very common practice in the wake boat world to not be allowed to sell out of territory (and if you buy a newer used one not from your territory dealer, you get poor service as a result).

Haven't heard of territory selling in the automotive world before. As for a RR, hope you like spending time at the dealership. Sure as hell don't BUY a new one as they tank in value. If you like spending your days at dealership service departments and they can give you a decent enough lease rate, then it might be worth a look.
I have definitely heard about getting poor service from a different dealership. This is why if I decided to buy from across town I would probably also get service at that dealership.

I think the reality is most service departments may not even know where you got your vehicle and don't care as long as they are building revenue but some definitely may care, then you're up sh** creek. I would rather take it to the same guys; more likely get a loaner and better service, i think most people can relate to the slap in the face bringing a competitors product to you, although people move, so hopefully it isn't a flat rule to treat others poorly, but maybe the loyal guys get treated better. Even being loyal is not a guarantee for good service either, lol.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #16
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
I have definitely heard about getting poor service from a different dealership. This is why if I decided to buy from across town I would probably also get service at that dealership.

I think the reality is most service departments may not even know where you got your vehicle and don't care as long as they are building revenue but some definitely may care, then you're up sh** creek. I would rather take it to the same guys; more likely get a loaner and better service, i think most people can relate to the slap in the face bringing a competitors product to you, although people move, so hopefully it isn't a flat rule to treat others poorly, but maybe the loyal guys get treated better. Even being loyal is not a guarantee for good service either, lol.
I understand.

We had a disagreement with the local dealership and subsequently purchased several vehicles from an out-of-town BMW dealership and had them serviced locally. After a few years of this, the sales manager asked what he could do to earn our business back.

The wise operators understand that the whole package is important and realize that bad policy and a crappy sales person can have long-term negative impact on the organization.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #17
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

It's all about exporting these trucks to China, Russia, UAE etc. Dealers get large charge backs if the vehicle they sold ends up in a foreign market. Most dealers in my area require you to sign a non-export agreement when you purchase a Range or some other "hot" vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #18
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
are you trying to lease one or buy one?

often with leases-----dealerships do not deal with out of town people.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #19
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

While I don't agree with the out of town policies, expecting a discount on an RR just because BMW offers discounts is confusing to me. Two different manufacturers with two different products and two different types of buyers.

Typical RR buyers know they aren't getting discounts. Supply is low and demand is high. BMW offers all sorts of crazy incentives to its dealers to get product out on the street not to mention that BMW has its own bank which makes offering financing options far easier and more favorable for the customer.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #20
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post

Have you looked at the prices for current gen used RR's lately? I'm in automotive sales and a few months ago had a customer trade in a 2014 RR probably a year after he bought it. We pretty much gave him what he paid for it. They are inferno hot right now. Very low supply in the market.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #21
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I got discounts on both my range rovers, not much, first one was a sport at 1k off and second was a full size at 3.5k off. Don't buy into we only sell at msrp. They have great demand when new body styles come out, but that fizzles down just like every car.

The salesman are taught to be arrogant and act like it's not possible to get lower than msrp.

Anyways, the sales part is just the first inconvenience, wait until you have to deal with the service department.
Appreciate 2
      01-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #22
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Yeah range rover dealerships have specific "catchment" areas that are in their contract with Range Rover Corporate. They arent allowed to sell outside of that area. I guess its easier for Range Rover to get dealers to set up shop if they are guaranteed all sales from a certain region.