BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

01-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Question Anyone swap out/replace your own front/side grilles and side markers?

Hi all - with my sapphire black X5M I think I want to replace the chrome front and side grilles, as well as the yellow side markers with painted versions. I'm looking at a full set from IND (http://ind-distribution.com/ind/f85-...n-night-vision)and considering doing the work myself. They have a couple of links to short DIYs on the forums, but they don't include a lot of details. They also just show them pulling the front grille forward with force () to release it. They don't show anything that I can find on getting access to the side marker lights (looks like you need to remove the torx screws and plastic rivets in the fender liner?). Also are the factory side grille tabs bent over and not taped in place?

Any insight from anyone who's done this? I'm happy to do it myself just don't want to muff it up (obviously). Gracias
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I'm a coward and am waiting until I have the summer wheels put back on, then I will ask the dealership to install the side reflectors for me.
      01-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #3
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
Hi all - with my sapphire black X5M I think I want to replace the chrome front and side grilles, as well as the yellow side markers with painted versions. I'm looking at a full set from IND (http://ind-distribution.com/ind/f85-...n-night-vision)and considering doing the work myself. They have a couple of links to short DIYs on the forums, but they don't include a lot of details. They also just show them pulling the front grille forward with force () to release it. They don't show anything that I can find on getting access to the side marker lights (looks like you need to remove the torx screws and plastic rivets in the fender liner?). Also are the factory side grille tabs bent over and not taped in place?

Any insight from anyone who's done this? I'm happy to do it myself just don't want to muff it up (obviously). Gracias
I had the dealer do mine last week. From what I was told, the kidney grills you can just "pull" off as long as you don't mind breaking the clips on the old ones. The side gills were a project. It took them a few hours, which I confirmed with others that have had the install done. Two owners I know experienced minor damage even with the dealer doing. I understand it's not easy. You have to drill them out? I paid $300 install for the grills and the gills. Don't know about the marker lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

thanks all. $300 ain't bad. I believe the OEM side grilles are held on with tabs which you can see in the forum post that IND did for the DIY (http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1119249), and these tabs may be bent in place. I know how fragile paint can be to any bending of any surface, and so I'm hesitant to pull on the side grille with force. As far as the front grille is concerned here is IND's DIY on that install (http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1163241). Here is their DIY on the side markers (http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=17750423).

These are all helpful, I'd just HATE to do any damage in the process, and any 2 sided tape can be extremely strong and removing it can be hazardous. I may give it a shot, however. WTH...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 10:53 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@jcfay , you may want to visit F15 forums.
The DIY on the Kidney Grill has been discussed plenty of time.
I personally have done quite a few of them and it took me in average 10-15 minutes.
For the fender trim, the proper way is to open up the fender liner and break the tab from inside the fender. But what IND did on their DIY is also do-able, but prone to get paint damage.
And the replacement is supposedly installed by melting the plastic tab from behind the fender. But again, as on IND DIY, they just uses the double sided tape. Which I prefer to do also since it would be easier to remove once you are done with it.
Now, as for the painted reflector, yes you need to remove the fender liner to access it.
I managed to do them in 45 minutes.
If you are interested in the aftermarket gloss black kidney grill and fender trim, I have them in stock now. Also the painted reflector in BSM.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #6
Cuturass
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 & F82

I pulled the front piece off the side gill. It's on by double sided tape and 3 tabs.It is much easier then taking the backing off with it...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 11:33 PM   #7
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

I installed the full InD comestic package myself. It can be done and I did not have any special tools beside those purchased from InD

I felt the front grills were the hardest to remove and took a long time with very sore fingers and cut knuckles. The side markers should have the front bumper removed but i did without. This was tricky as they are double sided taped on and you need to pull the fender loners out pretty far to reach access the oem and replace.

I made two projects out of it. inD provides very good DYI so follow them to the T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post

Appreciate 1