cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Exclamation Roll backwards in drive

Hi guys,

I mentioned this in another thread somewhere. Sometimes, in the time it takes me to go from the brake to the gas - say at a light - I roll backwards ever so slightly. This morning, it was more than ever so slightly. So much so, my nephew looked at me like I lost my mind and said what the hell was that. I wasn't even on an incline. Me no like. Am I going to have to start driving with two feet? If someone was up my butt, I would have rolled into them.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks all, and happy Monday.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 07:21 AM   #2
MadViper
Private First Class
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Your car has a 3 second delay from the time you release the brake to the time the car will roll backwards on a hill. The reason for this is that bmw wants to make the transmission of this car as similiar as the can as a M-DCT. You will get used to it, don't worry. Perfectly normal.
The other thing you can do is to use the AUTO H button located right next to the parking brake, when this is activated the car would not move until the accelerator is pressed.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 07:25 AM   #3
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadViper View Post
Your car has a 3 second delay from the time you release the brake to the time the car will roll backwards on a hill. The reason for this is that bmw wants to make the transmission of this car as similiar as the can as a M-DCT. You will get used to it, don't worry. Perfectly normal.
The other thing you can do is to use the AUTO H button located right next to the parking brake, when this is activated the car would not move until the accelerator is pressed.
Thank you. It sure didn't seem like 3 seconds. I'm pretty quick when the light changes, especially if I have the pole position

I'll try the Auto hold.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #4
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Yup, built in to make the driving experience more "authentic", but also can be starting for those of use not used to this feature. Same thing happened to me and nearly backed into another vehicle! It definitely didn't seem like 3 secs to me either...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Auto Hold is great.
When the light turns to green , you'll be the first one to start
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think it is 3 secs. I was standing at a light, and sat there for a few, and then started the roll back. Nice call.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #7
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Thanks guys. I need to RTFM...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Thanks guys. I need to RTFM...
I guess. I read it, just forgot some stuff that is more boring (like this). Not sure it's even in there anyway (I know the hold function is, but not sure about the timing of brake release)...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #9
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
I guess. I read it, just forgot some stuff that is more boring (like this). Not sure it's even in there anyway (I know the hold function is, but not sure about the timing of brake release)...
I didn't want to ask how it worked and get the dreaded I'm trying to be a good newbie and search before asking.

I've never used the function before. I know it's been on my last few vehicles, but I never had the need to.

So I read the manual. It says apply brake to deactivate so I thought you had to activate it every time you came to a stop. But it also says the function will activate upon coming to a stop after applying the brake. So I don't know. I'll play around with it on the way home tonight.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
AlexLou1222
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M 2014 X1

I love this, cuz I can always pretend I'm driving a manual M model lol
      05-11-2016, 07:01 AM   #11
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
So, I've been using the auto hold button religiously. It's now an automatic thing, like putting on my seatbelt.

I'm at a light on an incline today, I take my foot off the brake and the second I do, I start to roll backwards. Am I doing something wrong? Am I not supposed to have my foot on the brake for the auto hold to properly work?

Not sure if it's related but the other day I started it up, changed from parking brake to auto hold, put it in reverse, hit the gas and nada....after a few seconds and a little bang, it released as if the parking brake was stuck. Hasn't happened since.

Gremlins or time for service?

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #12
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
So, I've been using the auto hold button religiously. It's now an automatic thing, like putting on my seatbelt.

I'm at a light on an incline today, I take my foot off the brake and the second I do, I start to roll backwards. Am I doing something wrong? Am I not supposed to have my foot on the brake for the auto hold to properly work?

Not sure if it's related but the other day I started it up, changed from parking brake to auto hold, put it in reverse, hit the gas and nada....after a few seconds and a little bang, it released as if the parking brake was stuck. Hasn't happened since.

Gremlins or time for service?

Thanks all
Auto hold works by coming to a complete stop, letting off the brake, and your vehicle stays put, until you hit the gas again, at which point it releases, and then you go through the same routine again when coming to a complete stop, over and over. It shouldn't roll backwards after coming to a stop, and letting off the brake, if autohold is activated.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #13
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
Auto hold works by coming to a complete stop, letting off the brake, and your vehicle stays put, until you hit the gas again, at which point it releases, and then you go through the same routine again when coming to a complete stop, over and over. It shouldn't roll backwards after coming to a stop, and letting off the brake, if autohold is activated.
Well , it didn't work this way on my previous E70 , and nor on our X3.

I was surprised that with the X5M , you really need to stop completely and push the brake pedal for the auto hold to activate it self.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #14
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-am View Post
Well , it didn't work this way on my previous E70 , and nor on our X3.

I was surprised that with the X5M , you really need to stop completely and push the brake pedal for the auto hold to activate it self.
I had several E70 X5 vehicles, and they all worked this way. Put autohold on, come to a complete stop, I mean COMPLETE stop, and then let off the brake, and the vehicle stays put. It has worked this way in my X5 M, as well.
Appreciate 0