BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
968PORSCHE
968PORSCHE
United_States
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE 968

BRIGHTER COLORS FOR THE 135i?

Is there any hope that BMW will offer brighter colors for the One? As vehicles go up in price, the color palette goes dreary and conservative. Please tell me BMW has plans for colors other than the same drab stuff in the 3 and 5 line-up. I see Chevy pickup trucks in better colors. (Granted they do make hundreds of thousands of trucks/year). Any thoughts? Does the 3 door come in a wider selection of colors in Europe than the rest of the line?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
That would certainly be nice. I haven't seen a unique BMW color since the Dakar Yellow and Laguna Seca Blue M3's and before that... I can't even remember. So far the red that has been shown so far appears to be unique and certainly different. I always wish for this and end up with a silver or black car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Typically BMW offers more choices in Germany than what the N/A market gets.
The 1-er, eg, is available in LeMans Blue in Germany as part of a sports packet. It may...or may not be on offer here.

I would like to see BMW rethink it's color choices.
And go beyond that to introducing real color...besides super-saturated hues and the usual suspects of white, red and black.

Particlularly I'd like to see an alternative to metallics.
I want color not just a shiny reflective surface.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

There is a guy in Kansas City that has an 81x Cord Beverly and it is 'Geneva Blue'. (I shouild have a snap of it somewhere.) I love that car and that color!!

Audi - a few years back was showing 'machine tool' colors - rich blues, industrial grays and greens - that took their inpsiration from lathes and milling machines - super deep saturated colors.

Saab also had a really startling gray a few years back - it almost looked like the dove gray that used to be the preferred color on century series aircraft (like the Voodoo). It was stunning to see.

Now I gotta rumage around to see if I can find a pic of the Cord . . .

Well - here's a pic (stolen from this site: http://www.collectorcarsforsale.com/...ale/l0509.html )
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 07:06 AM   #5
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Bugatti Blue-a gorgeous color.
Type 35's (mostly) racing at Monterey. They look like toys...but they are racing machines whittled down to function as understood in the way-back.
Hugo- check out the grey-blue in lower left for industrial color. Fugitive color that straddles the fold between grey/blue. Hyphenated backslash color////
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Assuming we get LeMans Blue, we would have bright blue, light blue, bright red, orange red, white, and (ulp) Tahiti Green. The only color I can see that's missing from this list (unless someone wants to propose purple) is yellow.

I do agree that some non-metallics would be nice. Bugatti Blue would be a great start. Nevertheless, it hardly seems like we're being denied a lot of bright colors.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Type 35's (mostly) racing at Monterey. They look like toys...but they are racing machines whittled down to function as understood in the way-back.
Hugo- check out the grey-blue in lower left for industrial color. Fugitive color that straddles the fold between grey/blue. Hyphenated backslash color////
OOooohhh great pic, thanks for posting :w00t:
+1 for more non metalics....
I'd love to see more choice.

LSB is still the colour that does it for me......
I will seriously consider painting my 1er!

'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I was there for that race. There was a tank Bugatti there also - got some pix of it in the pits. Dang - now I have to dig back through some old backup material to see if I can find them. Interesting that there is almost as much variation in the French Racing Blue as there is in British Racing Green.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
gwballin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
That would certainly be nice. I haven't seen a unique BMW color since the Dakar Yellow and Laguna Seca Blue M3's and before that... I can't even remember. So far the red that has been shown so far appears to be unique and certainly different. I always wish for this and end up with a silver or black car anyway.
Agreed, especially on the ending up with silver or black. As much as I think I want a bright color, my practical side usually takes over and I end up with "classy" offering.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

That seals it if I get a 135 it's going to have to be Tahiti green since I'd probably be one of ten in all of the us to get one

Car companines don't seem to put out interesting colors anymore. Ford actually has several unique colors on the Mustang. Not that I'd pick many of them but at least they are offered.

Mazda has done the same with Phantom blue, Black Cherry, Copper red on some models.

I think BMW should bring back Carbon Black for the 135.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #11
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I wish BMW would do more color-wise as well. THey really started dialing back the color range on MINIs to the point where there were 3 differnt shades of gray out of 12 possible colors in 2006. I have a liquid yellow 2004 MINI and would love a 1 series that is similarly bright.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 02:44 PM   #12
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I would love to see a 135i in 997 RS style orange with black wheels and a factory-installed rollbar.

(Not sure I'd buy it though...)

I'd take one in Imola Red.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0