M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-31-2008, 01:35 AM   #1
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Hi-Fi

At least one other forum member enjoys high-end audio as a hobby. For over 30 years I've been hopelessly addicted to 2-channel stereo.
After decades of experimenting I have settled on vintage VTL running NOS Siemens, Telefunken and Mullard tubes. The McIntosh MC 2105 is a classic solid-state power amp which I ran for years, it sounds very much like a tube amp, now it is but a beautiful ornament, beautiful enough for the New York Museum of Art as said museum includes an example in their industrial design display. Nakamichi is the preferred cassette deck, a current Marantz CD player is the default/daily driver CD. The two turntables, one a custom, the other a Project Perspective, both run low-hours, vintage Monster Cable Alpha Genesis 1000 carts, one of the most natural sounding carts ever produced. Loudspeakers are Infinity Reference 6's, they sound bloody hell psycho-killer awesome only if they are positioned upside down and run way-off axis, as shown. The two vintage Teacs are different only in that the every day unit(daily driver?) is a 1/4-track(7 1/2 ips) while the 1/2-track(15 ips) is for the occasional 'fix' of completely irrational audiophilia.:wink: The entire rig runs off a Monster Power, Signature, HTPS 7000 power conditioner. Next addition will be Vandersteen 2Ce loudspeakers.:smile:

Anyone else here a closet audiophile? You know you're 'out there', c'mon, let's see your rigs.:wink:
Attached Images

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 02:42 AM   #2
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja325ci View Post
My system is not quite as advanced as Surname's but the sound is incredible.

Components are: Adcom GFA-555 Power Amp 200 watt per channel
Adcom Preamp/tuner GTP-400
Adcom Cd Player GCD-575
Creek class A phono amp.
Dahlquist DQ-12 Phased Array speakers (can be bi-wired)
Monster cable
Denon semi-auto turntable w/Grado cartridge
Man those are the biggest cd"s I have ever seen....:wink: They must hold the "record"...lol :biggrin:

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
corpsman
130 kmh, yeah right.
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Montego,6MT,

Is it 2008 or 1978?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I am a music fan and have a few systems. Not a lot of vintage in there, but I do frequent Audiokarma forums.

Top shelf , below the TV: Playstation 3, Oppo DV-980H Universal DVD player,NHT SC-1 Center Channel Speaker, Atari 10 in 1 TV game, Neuros MPEG-4 Recorder 2 Plus Digital Video Recorder, Directv HR20, JVC JVC HMDH30000U HIGH DEF DVHS VCR

Bottom shelf: Roku M1000-B Soundbridge, Sony VAIO VGX-XL1 Digital Living System, Wii, Wii games, Wii, Behringer SRC2496 DAC, Monster Reference PowerCenter HTS 3500 MKII, Super T-amp (not currently in use), Denon AVR3808CI 7.1 Channel Receiver
Next to TV: ,Project Debut III Turntable, Bellari VP129 tube amp, Project Speed Box II, 8 oz of Lava, Tivoli PAL Tuner .. all sitting on an Apollo Wall mounted shelf
Below mounted shelf: Monitor Audio Silver RS6 speakers (normally have both grills on - left one off for pic), NHT SB-2 (I have four of these in the setup). Not seen is a an Outlaw LFM-1 sub.

My Marantz 2020B (with custom made wooden box):

My home office setup:

Source: Gateway Desktop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6300
Receiver: Marantz 2220B Vintage receiver. I have wanted a vintage receiver for a while and I use this as a tuner and a switchbox.
DVD/CD Player: Yamaha C750 universal player
DAC (Digital to Analog Converter): Beresford TC-7510 24bit/96K Converter. This unit has 4 digital inputs for a variety of sources. It sounds great, too! Don't be fooled by the headphone output. It is not very good, so you may still want an external amp.
Headphones: Sennheiser HD580, Grado SR-60
Headphone Amp: Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 and Little Pinkie Power Supply
Headphone Stand: This was custom made by my father. It provides plenty of room for more headphones. :-)
Add-on Hard Drives: Buffalo Teraserver, Western Digital 500 GB, Western Digital 250GB, , Simpletec 250GB, IO Data UHDL 300GB server, and (under speaker on right) LaCie 500GB hard drive. I have also installed a Maxtor 160GB internal Drive, and I have an eternal Maxtor 250GB drive on the network attached to my media computer. In other words, I have a decent amount of memory, but I could always use more!
Speakers: Logitech Z-680 Speakers (for surround) and Pinnacle PN5+ for music.
Other Sources: I ran RCA cables from my living room system to my Marantz. I mainly use this setup for vinyl. I also ran an HDMI cord from my Denon 3808ci receiver to the Westinghouse LCD. This feeds it all of the audio and video sources from the living room. I mainly use this setup for the PS3 and Satellite TV.

Bedroom:

Super T amp with Realistic HP100 Electrostatic headphones/Roku Soundbridge/Entech 203.2 DAC

Also have a cheap Onkyo surround system that I use for movies and Best Buy's infamous Insignia speakers that are for music:

I also have a Sony Reel to Reel that is no longer hooked up to anything. I got it for some of my dad's old recordings, but the tape was so brittle it would break anytime I tried to play it, so I gave up on it.
Appreciate 0