BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
Darkkilla
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e82 135i

JB3 and service

i have a jb3 2.0 installed in my car but i need to bring it in for service. what should i do? i dont want them seeing it and then voiding my warranty. i dont have a data logging cable either any help would be great
thanks
6MT, Saph Black Ext. , Coral Red Int. , Sport pkg, Cold weather, Ipod/USB, Bluetooth assist. N54 FTW!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

You should definitely scan your car with the BT cable before taking it in. Who knows if your ECU threw a hidden tuner code. If it has and the dealer sees it, they'll know you've got a tune.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 03:37 AM   #3
Top Gon
Bashar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
You should definitely scan your car with the BT cable before taking it in. Who knows if your ECU threw a hidden tuner code. If it has and the dealer sees it, they'll know you've got a tune.
Let's say all codes are cleared. Would he still need to take out the whole jb3 unit or is setting it to map 0 sufficient ?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 04:31 AM   #4
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheezy View Post
Let's say all codes are cleared. Would he still need to take out the whole jb3 unit or is setting it to map 0 sufficient ?
Depends if you go by the mantra "better safe than sorry". Dealers have no reason to go snooping around the ECU unless you give them reason to. So if your car doesn't sport a whole lot of cosmetic and/or performance mods, then map 0 should be fine. If your car looks like a racer, then chances are the dealer will physically check to see if you've got anything plugged into the ECU.

Taking out the JB isn't that much of a hassle anyway. 30mins work is worth it for my warranty.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
ksparks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I would certainly take it out. There have been reports that they can see a tune regardless of clearing your codes or not.... I would take no chances.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksparks View Post
I would certainly take it out. There have been reports that they can see a tune regardless of clearing your codes or not.... I would take no chances.
Someone once told me that the key fob will store certain info about the car that could give away the fact that you have a tune. Any truth to that or was that total B.S.?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

If they want to dig into it, they can tell regardless if you clear and or remove. Most will not as that takes time, and time is money.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

There are couple stories here, where a simple service visit turned into a hunt for a tune, and eventual voided powertrain warranty. Personally, I'd think you were foolish, if you left it installed.

If I recall, the story was that once they noticed the tampering, they informed the owner that they could not have their car back until a regional rep evaluated the situation, first hand...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
take it out.

they might just do the standard service, but who's to say they will not flag your VIN... Fast forward a few months later, go in with a more serious issue and you can be screwed.
      08-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
anopendimension
Rep
Drives:

I'm getting a JB3 soon, and was wondering about servicing as well. I was under the thought of taking it out of course for any sort of service-- but I am also getting a P3 Gauge. I'm assuming in this case, I'd also have to remove the gauge or do you think it would be safe to leave in? What about dual cone intake? Wondering where you (or the dealer would) draw the line ..
6 Speed MT
M Sport Package
Premium Package
Premium Sound

The kid-in-a-candy-store look when stepping into the 135i for the first time: Priceless
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
There are couple stories here, where a simple service visit turned into a hunt for a tune, and eventual voided powertrain warranty. Personally, I'd think you were foolish, if you left it installed.

If I recall, the story was that once they noticed the tampering, they informed the owner that they could not have their car back until a regional rep evaluated the situation, first hand...

There is no such thing as a voided powertrain warranty. They can ONLY deny free service on an otherwise warrantable repair when they can demonstrate that a modification created the problem.

They can note that your car has a tune, and in the future may be able to say that the tune created a specific problem, but they do have to prove the cause-effect.

Here is the relevant law

"No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.”

If you really want to see a long-drawn out discussion of this, see
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401615

Personally, I'd take my tune out for planned warranty repairs and do a BT wipe. No need for any unnecessary conversations with a SA that gets paid commission for non-warranty repairs. I plan on CPOing my car and any evidence of a tune may prevent BMW from re-warranting your car (including DINAN).

You should also BT your car. There is no evidence that BMW can see a wiped code, and I know they didn't see any of my codes when I had my ECU updated.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #12
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anopendimension View Post
I'm getting a JB3 soon, and was wondering about servicing as well. I was under the thought of taking it out of course for any sort of service-- but I am also getting a P3 Gauge. I'm assuming in this case, I'd also have to remove the gauge or do you think it would be safe to leave in? What about dual cone intake? Wondering where you (or the dealer would) draw the line ..
I wouldn't get a Gauge.

It's really a smoking gun for a tune - and given that Terry is expecting to release a revised JB with a boost gauge on the dash, it's kind of an expensive upgrade.

DCI, OCC and even Intercoolers are very tough to argue that they can harm an engine. A boost gauge screams that you boost past BMW spec and that can definitely cause problems that the manufacturer doesn't want to warrant.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
Tochenzo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
1998 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michifan View Post
I wouldn't get a Gauge.

It's really a smoking gun for a tune - and given that Terry is expecting to release a revised JB with a boost gauge on the dash, it's kind of an expensive upgrade.

DCI, OCC and even Intercoolers are very tough to argue that they can harm an engine. A boost gauge screams that you boost past BMW spec and that can definitely cause problems that the manufacturer doesn't want to warrant.
That's not correct at all, monitoring your boost is by no means a "key" for a tune. I've had my boost gauge installed and have been commented on it by BMW service advisers for it. Most turbo manufacturers have optional boost gauges as accessories and there is absolutely no way it will harm an engine. It is simply a monitoring tool.

National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
kkrikkett
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

Also how would a fmic harm a engine it would not. If anything a better fmic would do it good as it keeps intake temps down and a good blow off stops compessor surge so all is good.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #15
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tochenzo View Post
That's not correct at all, monitoring your boost is by no means a "key" for a tune. I've had my boost gauge installed and have been commented on it by BMW service advisers for it. Most turbo manufacturers have optional boost gauges as accessories and there is absolutely no way it will harm an engine. It is simply a monitoring tool.
What is so controversial about saying that a boost gauge is a smoking gun for a tune? I'd say that it's a pretty high probability that anyone that has a boost gauge installed in their car is running a tune. I'm not saying that having a boost gauge would do anything to your warranty, just that it is definitely an invitation for the dealer to look further.

Personally, I think the gauge looks great.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrikkett View Post
Also how would a fmic harm a engine it would not. If anything a better fmic would do it good as it keeps intake temps down and a good blow off stops compessor surge so all is good.
Agree. Unless you botch up your install, it's a really tough leap to think that a larger intercooler would lead to an engine problem.
Appreciate 0