BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2008 135i

BMW SSK Update

Greetings!

This is just an Update for people who were disappointed by the BMW SSK like i was.

the first few days after the install, i was regretting this move! shifts from 1 to 2nd were laborious to say the least. it got ''OK'' after few days but still i was looking for an S2K like feel and it was just not there.

It was sporty no doubt but for daily driving not really user friendly IMO so after reading several threads i just swapped back to the Older Shift knob & Boot and wow what a difference! now the car is back and the SSK comes to life!

it's weird though because the SSK Knob is much heavier than the stock 1 but the Stock 1 is so much better ergonomically speaking and the Alcantara gets all Dusty after a While . so there you have it, you might try this move if you have the same issue i had!

Cheers!
      03-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

How does switching back to the old knob improve the shifting? The shift linkage has not been changed. I get this installed tomorrow and have done a lot of reading here about the ssk. Most find the shifting, better than stock..not more difficult.

Maybe you can get into more detail. Becuse you indicated that the shifting was not smooth. thx.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja325ci View Post
How does switching back to the old knob improve the shifting? The shift linkage has not been changed. I get this installed tomorrow and have done a lot of reading here about the ssk. Most find the shifting, better than stock..not more difficult.

Maybe you can get into more detail. Becuse you indicated that the shifting was not smooth. thx.
Hello

Yes as several guys also reported , the shifts are definitely harder especially from 1 to 2nd , and it doesn't get into the 2nd gate quite smoothly . the thing is the SSk shift knob is tiny and instinctively you'll have a tendency to grab it from a lower stance thus adding more to that mechanical difficulty to get into into gear.

you'll see tomorrow and don't be disappointed , now i think it is a very good upgrade . the shift knob is just too tiny. the stock is beefier and falls better unto your hand!.

i was miss-shifting from 1 to 2nd like crazy, it was rather annoying .

please keep me posted tomorrow on your first impressions after the install
      03-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

the SSK knob is only 1 ounce heavier, I weighed them.
      03-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
OhMyGoose
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

There was a recent thread about the "notchiness" of the BMW SSK. When I had mine installed, shifting from 1st to 2nd was notchy. But, honestly, it's not that big a deal. It'll loosen up over time as mine did.

However, my only complaint with the BMW SSK is that the throws are still pretty long (I believe its around a 25% reduction). I wish it was shorter. Also, the alcantara knob is starting to wear on me, but that was expected.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

I now have the SSK and can review my experience. This is based on a 20 mile drive back from the dealer.

Let me first say that when I made the decision to purchase the SSK, I payed closer attention to how the stock shifter felt and how it rowed through the gears.

I do agree that the new knob is small. That said, I want to live with it for several weeks before I decide to keep it or not. The stock shifter was not very smooth going from 1st to 2nd (as I said, I payed close attention to this before I made the switch). The SSK is no worse that the stock shift from 1st to 2nd. I like how it shifts through all the gears.

I do need to live with it for several days before I can make a full review. The SSK does lean toward the right a bit. I think this is how it is supposed to be?

Also, ordered the PPK1 but they are still waiting for BMW to send the codes. They told me 5 to 10 days for BMW to write the new software custom for my E82. I am the first at my dealership to get the PPK1 and they are as excited as I am. lol...

Thanks to all that helped me decide on this. The SSK is a nice mod and the boot is black in color so it does not look out of place.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

if you decide you don't like it i will take it off your hands! I am sure many here will buy it if it is up for sale!
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja325ci View Post
I now have the SSK and can review my experience. This is based on a 20 mile drive back from the dealer.

Let me first say that when I made the decision to purchase the SSK, I payed closer attention to how the stock shifter felt and how it rowed through the gears.

I do agree that the new knob is small. That said, I want to live with it for several weeks before I decide to keep it or not. The stock shifter was not very smooth going from 1st to 2nd (as I said, I payed close attention to this before I made the switch). The SSK is no worse that the stock shift from 1st to 2nd. I like how it shifts through all the gears.

I do need to live with it for several days before I can make a full review. The SSK does lean toward the right a bit. I think this is how it is supposed to be?

Also, ordered the PPK1 but they are still waiting for BMW to send the codes. They told me 5 to 10 days for BMW to write the new software custom for my E82. I am the first at my dealership to get the PPK1 and they are as excited as I am. lol...

Thanks to all that helped me decide on this. The SSK is a nice mod and the boot is black in color so it does not look out of place.
for the PPK you might wait up to 3 weeks like most of us ( they say 10 business days)

as for the leaning towards the Right! i don't think so my friend

Today i drove like 100 miles with the SSK/OEM Shift knob Combo and no questions right there, i find the feeling way way better.

Keep us posted mate!

Last edited by Bavarian54bimmer; 03-30-2012 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
Imo135
I dont drive fast,I just fly low....
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135is

Hi,

I have the SSK installed but used my stock gear boot and knob, decided I preferred that look and feel. The stock gearboot and knob fit perfectly even though the SSK lever is shorter.

As for perf and feel its great, this has been a great mod for me. Shifts are smooth and quicker, no grinding or issues, I am perfectly happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
I also use the stock knob and boot. My SSK isn't as short or silky smooth as Mazda/Honda shifters, but it's smooth enough and fast, and the synchros are excellent, and the engine has so much low end torque, it's all very easy.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Any 1 of you guys had a the Stock popping off afterwards ?? mine just popped off yesterday in a 0 to 60 trial am hopping it was not well in place , i don't want to go the glue/ciment way .

am not going back to the SSK shift knob though.
      03-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian54bimmer View Post
Any 1 of you guys had a the Stock popping off afterwards ?? mine just popped off yesterday in a 0 to 60 trial am hopping it was not well in place , i don't want to go the glue/ciment way .

am not going back to the SSK shift knob though.
YES! That happens to me when I really shift hard. I have the ZHP knob however.

I know my buddy's M3 gave an audible "click" when he switched out his stock knob to the ZHP one and it hasn't come off even during spirited shifting. Does ours click into place too?

I understand that some may believe I am being too rough with the shift knob when shifting, but before I got the SSK, I never had an issue with the stock shifter (the perforated one) coming off. Now with the SSK I don't feel the ZHP knob is as secure as the stock one was.

Any solutions? I don't want to cement it...
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icabod7 View Post
YES! That happens to me when I really shift hard. I have the ZHP knob however.

I know my buddy's M3 gave an audible "click" when he switched out his stock knob to the ZHP one and it hasn't come off even during spirited shifting. Does ours click into place too?

I understand that some may believe I am being too rough with the shift knob when shifting, but before I got the SSK, I never had an issue with the stock shifter (the perforated one) coming off. Now with the SSK I don't feel the ZHP knob is as secure as the stock one was.

Any solutions? I don't want to cement it...
it should click. it has a plastic structure that should hook in place but it is obviously a common issue on several BMW threads , Hence it happened on Top Gear testing a Z4 i think .

All and for all they say to try to add an electric tape to thicken the shifter metal stick or a cement if you are 100% sure you'll not ever remove it.

the other solution would be to buy a new knob.
      03-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

This is just an Update for people who were disappointed by the BMW SSK like i was...

I really LOVE my BMW performance SSK from day one! Sure its a little bit more notchy... but thats pure physics at work there. IF your gonna make the throws shorter you will always increase the amount of work it takes to move that (shorter) shift lever.

I am not the first to sya this... but the BMW Perf SSK really is a MUST HAVE mod, right behind the "CDV delete"! Bellow is a very good thread with some good pics of the SSK.

Performance short shifter
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484069&highlight=short+shift+kit+ ssk
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
it should click. it has a plastic structure that should hook in place but it is obviously a common issue on several BMW threads , Hence it happened on Top Gear testing a Z4 i think .

All and for all they say to try to add an electric tape to thicken the shifter metal stick or a cement if you are 100% sure you'll not ever remove it.

the other solution would be to buy a new knob.
Thanks for the tip. So when you re-installed your stock M-sport shifter knob you pressed down until you heard an audible *click*? I'll have to see if I can do that -- just so I don't damage anything could you tell me how much force you applied?
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icabod7 View Post
Thanks for the tip. So when you re-installed your stock M-sport shifter knob you pressed down until you heard an audible *click*? I'll have to see if I can do that -- just so I don't damage anything could you tell me how much force you applied?
Well am a Bodybuilder for 2 Decades and i applied more or less 80% to 90% of my strength for like 2 seconds and you'll feel that click rather than hearing it ( this was done after it popped off ) , the first time when i install it back i did not apply enough pressure i think.

about an hour ago i took it for a ride specifically to test the knob and it held well in the 1 to 2nd shifts so am reassured , if it will pop once more it will be ''epoxy Cement'' for me since am 99% sure i'll not need to change the Knob nor the SSK! i just love it the way it is now.
      03-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I really LOVE my BMW performance SSK from day one! Sure its a little bit more notchy... but thats pure physics at work there. IF your gonna make the throws shorter you will always increase the amount of work it takes to move that (shorter) shift lever.

I am not the first to sya this... but the BMW Perf SSK really is a MUST HAVE mod, right behind the "CDV delete"! Bellow is a very good thread with some good pics of the SSK.

Performance short shifter
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484069&highlight=short+shift+kit+ ssk

Thanks mate.

in a nut shell how big is the difference with and without the CDV delete if you don't mind elaborating in few lines even though this subject has been discussed several time but i like your input my German Friend

Cheers!
      03-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Well am a Bodybuilder for 2 Decades and i applied more or less 80% to 90% of my strength for like 2 seconds and you'll feel that click rather than hearing it ( this was done after it popped off ) , the first time when i install it back i did not apply enough pressure i think.

about an hour ago i took it for a ride specifically to test the knob and it held well in the 1 to 2nd shifts so am reassured , if it will pop once more it will be ''epoxy Cement'' for me since am 99% sure i'll not need to change the Knob nor the SSK! i just love it the way it is now.

It would be better to use an RTV (silicone) IF you ever had to go back in there.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #19
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It would be better to use an RTV (silicone) IF you ever had to go back in there.
Good call sir!

and since you're here! are you still on your 380ps stage2 tune or did you add something else like Wagner was advising ( FMIC and Down pipes )

Cheers!
      03-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate.

in a nut shell how big is the difference with and without the CDV delete if you don't mind elaborating in few lines even though this subject has been discussed several time but i like your input my German Friend

Cheers!

Basically... the "CDV delete" will get rid of that jerkyness when shifting into 1st or 2nd gears. Ever think you just "botched" the shift timing of pulling away from a red light. Or when changing from 1st to 2nd gears. The CDV delete gets rid of that delay when you use the clutch pedal quickly - like when trying to change a gear or getting the car into gear quickly at a traffic like.

For more info you can read the "CDV delete DIY"...

CDV Delete/Replacement DIY
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...cdv+delete+diy
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Good call sir!

and since you're here! are you still on your 380ps stage2 tune or did you add something else like Wagner was advising ( FMIC and Down pipes )

Cheers!

No not yet. I still only have my 380 PS flash tune and I am VERY happy with it. But a FMIC is on my WANT list. I think everyone can use more (horse)power!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #22
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No not yet. I still only have my 380 PS flash tune and I am VERY happy with it. But a FMIC is on my WANT list. I think everyone can use more (horse)power!
Thanks for the replies sir! much appreciated ! i hear you , power is addictive no doubt! me too am contemplating the HPF FMIC and i'll join the Dark side when my PPK1 gets boring ( or when too many Mustangs 5.0 smoke me )

Cheers!