BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SMG 135i

Power Steering Loss

Had a strange "Oh Shit" moment this morning. I was stopped on an uphill right-hand merge and when I started to go I was unable to turn the steering wheel right. With the curb approaching and me trying to decide to brake or not, I thought to myself the hell with it and yanked the wheel right. After a brief point of heavy resistance the wheel turned freely and all has been right since then. It honestly felt like the turn stop was at the half way point until it loosened up again.

So now I am wondering what the heck happened. No codes from this. I believe we have an electric power steering, so I don't think it was a hydraulic issue. Coincidentally, I had DPs installed a week ago, and I know it is common to move the steering assy during this, but I am not sure this problem is related. I have been driving the past week until this morning with zero issues. Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
      04-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SMG 135i

Smacking my head now realizing how many times I've seen the PS resevoir under the hood...so OK, not an electic system. Hoping now that moving the rack for the DP install just let an air bubble in when the line was moved around. That would probably explain the issue.