Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M, 458 Spider

i-Drive Question

I have my ED trip all planned out in Google Maps (with an associated link of some sort to email it, etc). My question is can I somehow send this map to the car and have it automatically entered into my Navigation system? How would this be done? Through BMW Apps, bluetooth, BMW Assist?
Saw the dog getting neutered on the commercial but was unclear how this is facilitated.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

that would be cool if you could do that, or find a business/address online and send the address to your car!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Unfortunately, there's no way to send a Google Maps ROUTE to your car, only a destination -- and I'm not sure how that works when sending an international address to a US-spec car that's overseas. Sending routes would be awesome because creating a trip on iDrive when you want a specific route is painful, and then you can't even export them for backup or sharing. Probably typical German mindset of "It's a navigation device, finding the right route is ITS job, why would you want to program one in?" Answer: Because I found some great driving roads and just want my car to keep me on them!!

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly-dee View Post
My question is can I somehow send this map to the car and have it automatically entered into my Navigation system?
I don't think that's how most GPS get set to map out from origin to destination. I believe, the GPS uses the current location as origin, then one has to enter the destination. If that is so, all that is needed is a set of destination addresses which should be something easy to enter, hopefully as a batch. Also per the info I gather, for those cars doing ED, the European maps get enabled when received from the Welt and when the cars are shipped to the U.S. are then prepped to eliminate the European maps in favor of the U.S. maps.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M, 458 Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Unfortunately, there's no way to send a Google Maps ROUTE to your car, only a destination -- and I'm not sure how that works when sending an international address to a US-spec car that's overseas. Sending routes would be awesome because creating a trip on iDrive when you want a specific route is painful, and then you can't even export them for backup or sharing. Probably typical German mindset of "It's a navigation device, finding the right route is ITS job, why would you want to program one in?" Answer: Because I found some great driving roads and just want my car to keep me on them!!
Didn't someone say that they had Google Maps functionailityon the idrive system through their bluetooth connected iphone? Essentially displaying your google maps on the idrive or somethinglike that?
Appreciate 0