M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

M5 @ PBIR Running 11.1 or 11.2?

http://mbworld.org/forums/5921278-post7.html

Is that anyone one here? Apparently they were running a tune and CAI. Pretty impressive!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Tom C
Captain
Rep

I think I found the M5 that was running the low 11 second time:

http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-M5-Timeslip-26224.html

FWIW, the submission claims the mods are ASR intakes, ASR downpipes and ASR tune. I didn't realize ASR was stll around after all their bad publicity.

The timeslip shows the run happened on January 26, 2014 at 3:54PM. According to the DA calculator on drag times the temps were 74 degrees and not the 89 listed on the entry.

Also, you can see the air intake's air filters through the front grill. That may give you more cold air, but I wouldn't be driving my car in any sort of rain with that set-up....
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Thanks for sharing. I don't doubt the times. These cars are fast. I feel my car has 10s in it with a tire and proper launch.

I was reading up on ASR's intake and it made 1 less HP and 20 less ft/lbs torque than my car with just Charcoal Filters removed. So I don't know how effective they are? Maybe on a roll they make a difference.
      02-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
Tom C
Captain
Rep

To me, whatever gains are to be had on that intake it doesn't justify the risk of hydro-locking the engine if running it on a daily basis and encountering wet conditions.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
To me, whatever gains are to be had on that intake it doesn't justify the risk of hydro-locking the engine if running it on a daily basis and encountering wet conditions.
You need to go through some deep ass water to hydro lock it! How often do you rip through 2 feet of water??!! lol Also you can always put a filter sock on the filter which helps keep water out but also restricts a bit. It's not rain that's going to get sucked in, it's standing water... I just think that a turbo car doesn't perhaps thrive as much as an NA car for intakes unless you are upping boost with larger turbos and moving significantly larger amounts of air, then the stock intakes are the limiting reagent...
      02-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Tom C
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
You need to go through some deep ass water to hydro lock it! How often do you rip through 2 feet of water??!! lol Also you can always put a filter sock on the filter which helps keep water out but also restricts a bit. It's not rain that's going to get sucked in, it's standing water... I just think that a turbo car doesn't perhaps thrive as much as an NA car for intakes unless you are upping boost with larger turbos and moving significantly larger amounts of air, then the stock intakes are the limiting reagent...
Usually 2 to 3 times a week.

I agree on the overall impact of doing intakes, especially if you don't have the ability to adjust the tune for more fueling.
Appreciate 0