BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Exclamation Official: Competition Package for the BMW M5 and BMW M6 (including Gran Coupe)

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Official: Competition Package for the BMW M5 and BMW M6 (including Gran Coupe)
COMMENTS

Name:  bmwm5m6comp.jpg
Views: 64168
Size:  296.4 KB

PRICE UPDATE: 2014 US pricing for the M5 Competition Package has been announced at $7300 (see price guide)

With the central aim of addressing the handling of the BMW M5 and M6, today marks the release of an all new competition package for the entire M5 and M6 lineup.

Now before you say anything, this is not merely a cosmetics package, but a package which seems to really tweak the car from top to bottom with a nod to the driving enthusiast in all of us. Being that most of the complaints directed at the M5 and M6 so far have been directed at its handling and steering feel, BMW has directed most of the upgrades to these departments. There is of course a small requisite power bump which shaves an additional 0.1s off the 0-60mph time, but the upgrades to the suspension and steering seem to be quite a bit more significant.

The new package will be offered across the entire M5 and M6 lineup (which includes the coupe, convertible and gran coupe) starting in July.
US Pricing will be announced closer to the August on-sale date.

Competition Package includes:
  • Power increase by 11kW (15HP) to 423kW (575 HP)
  • Stiffer stabilizer (anti-roll) bars
  • Stiffer and lower suspension (shocks and springs) (10mm lower then standard M5/M6).
  • Stiffer front axle bushings
  • Active M Differential with a unique tune for the competition package for improved traction
  • New hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with the M-specific Servotronic function with A MORE DIRECT PROGRAMMING to improve agility during cornering
  • M Dynamic mode (MDM) of DSC tuned with higher thresholds of intervention
  • New 20" M light alloy wheels
  • Sport exhaust with black chrome tips
  • * 2014 US pricing: $7300 (see price guide)

BMW M ceramic brakes still remain a separate option, unrelated to this package.

Promo Video Added:

BMW M5 Competition Package Wallpapers

BMW M5 Competition Package

BMW M6 Competition Package

PRESS RELEASE + Expand

Munich. They are high-performance sports cars, each with an individual character and all sharing the claim of turning superior performance attributes into an incomparable driving experience. In the BMW M5 and in the BMW M6 Coupe, BMW M6 Convertible and BMW M6 Gran Coupe models, race track technology is brought to the road. The ensuing hallmark M driving characteristics now present themselves in an even more intense, concentrated and impressive guise. From July, BMW M GmbH will be offering the Competition Package as an option for the four most powerful automobiles in the model portfolio. Its features open up a new dimension of dynamics in customary BMW M style.

The Competition Package was specifically conceived to enhance handling properties, in adherence to the principle applied to the development of all BMW M automobiles: fine-tuning the suspension technology to the performance curve of the engine to bring maximum performance in line with consistently superlative responses that are precision-controllable even in highly dynamic driving situations.

The Competition Package boosts output by 11 kW to 423 kW/575 hp in the high-revving V8 engine with M TwinPower turbo technology that powers the BMW M5, BMW M6 Coupe, BMW M6 Convertible and BMW M6 Gran Coupe models. At the same time, the developers at BMW M GmbH have applied extensive modifications to the chassis set-up. Along with the suspension and damping systems, the stabiliser bars have also been more tautly tuned. In the BMW M5 this adjustment has resulted in a lowering of the car by around 10 millimetres. The potential inherent in the rear axle design – based on the race-derived principle of the rear axle subframe being bolted to the body – and the even more precisely calculated elastokinematics for the front axle are exploited to the full in the models featuring the Competition Package, with the aim of enhancing driving precision.

The Active M Differential on the final drive – standard on all models – is also issued with its own control unit in conjunction with the Competition Package. In combination with the modified set-up for the suspension, damping and stabiliser bars, this results in further improved traction. The new hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with the M-specific Servotronic function, moreover, has more direct mapping to enable firm and secure contact with the road while further increasing the agility of the vehicle during cornering.

Beyond this, the configuration of the chassis control systems has been adapted to the specific suspension profile. With the Competition Package, the M Dynamic mode of the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system is even more acutely geared to sporty handling characteristics. The package additionally includes exclusively designed 20-inch M light-alloy wheels along with a sport exhaust system featuring customary M twin tailpipes in black chrome that lend an unmistakable sporty note to both the look and the sound of the car.

The further enhanced high-performance profile of the engine, chassis and sound experience courtesy of the Competition Package also has a positive impact on the vehicle set-up, which can be configured at the press of a button by selecting the Comfort, Sport or Sport+ modes. This makes for an even greater range between a supremely relaxed driving style and emotion-laden sportiness in the overall set-up of the relevant model. This more pronounced differentiation is most noticeable when spontaneously switching the set-up with the help of the M Drive buttons on the steering wheel.

The contents of the Competition Package make for optimised performance characteristics in all models, as demonstrated for example by 0.1 seconds being shaved off the standstill to 100 km/h (62 mph) sprint time and 0.2 seconds when accelerating from zero to 200 km/h (124 mph). Cornering dynamics and elasticity are also enhanced – something that is noticeable in everyday driving but most powerfully experienced on the race track. In particular in conjunction with the optional M carbon ceramic brakes, all the driving dynamics attributes associated with BMW M automobiles are experienced at the highest level.

05-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Sweet, carbon ceramics aren't included!! And the extra detail here makes this a lot more interesting... No-brainer option now for non-poseurs IMHO -- and probably a lot of poseurs too.

Hopefully pricing is reasonable. Still not feeling those wheels though....

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
Rep
Drives: poorly

Love everything except for the wheels... Wonder if you can opt for the normal 20s instead
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
E90ab335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Silver E90 335i

This a step in the right direction for the M division. So tired of seeing "special packages" like the e92 Lime Rock Edition
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
Rep
Drives: poorly

Side note: the front tires read 265 in the press shots. I am guessing the rims are simply a lighter alloy composition than the current 20 inch rims, but will remain the same 265/295 size
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Honestly this has left a bad taste in my mouth from BMW. Less than a year after the New M5 hits US dealerships they are already offering a competition package that addresses all the complaints from customers and journalists.

BMW dropped the ball on the original car, they panicked and had to introduce a comp package to make up for it.

This package should be available to all first year M5 buyers as a retrofit at its MSRP.
I'll probably write BMW a letter. So much for buying first year M3/M4. It looks like you have to wait for reviews instead of trusting that BMW will come out with a great product off the bat.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Beautiful!

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
GreenLantern
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Awesome. Thanks for posting!

And yeah, glad that CCB's remain optional.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
HouseMusicRules
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD EBII

"New hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with the M-specific Servotronic function with A MORE DIRECT PROGRAMMING to improve agility during cornering"

Does this mean a return to the older hydraulic steering rack (HPS)? Isn't this a step backward in terms of technology (though a step forward in steering feel)?

Wonder if this admits defeat from BMW that EPS can never match road feedback of HPS. Not good....
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Not really feeling those wheels. The other details are nice, though.

Still not clear on whether or not the new exhaust just includes black tips or is actually different than the stock one. And if it is new, how is it different than the upcoming Akra MPE?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
cs4444
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMusicRules
"New hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with the M-specific Servotronic function with A MORE DIRECT PROGRAMMING to improve agility during cornering"

Does this mean a return to the older hydraulic steering rack (HPS)? Isn't this a step backward in terms of technology (though a step forward in steering feel)?

Wonder if this means defeat from BMW that EPS can never match road feedback of HPS. Not good....
The f10 m5 always had hydraulic steering, it's just been recalibrated..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
Honestly this has left a bad taste in my mouth from BMW. Less than a year after the New M5 hits US dealerships they are already offering a competition package that addresses all the complaints from customers and journalists.

BMW dropped the ball on the original car, they panicked and had to introduce a comp package to make up for it.

This package should be available to all first year M5 buyers as a retrofit at its MSRP.
I'll probably write BMW a letter. So much for buying first year M3/M4. It looks like you have to wait for reviews instead of trusting that BMW will come out with a great product off the bat.
This happened with the E92 M3 too. There will always be updates. Hard to know if they are reactive or planned but that's why I've waited for the second or third year of production.

I like the wheels - need to see in person to know for sure.

Last edited by WCH; 05-18-2013 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

looks great

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:Jimmym@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Not really feeling those wheels. The other details are nice, though.

Still not clear on whether or not the new exhaust just includes black tips or is actually different than the stock one. And if it is new, how is it different than the upcoming Akra MPE?
New sport exhaust.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

My thoughts:
-The wheels actually look really cool and different. I was worried how they would turn out, but I like them!

- While I applaud BMW for listening to the reviews, customers, and armchair engineers (like myself), I'm not sure I like the idea of having to pay extra for some of this. Particularly the stiffer front bushings and better steering programing. I mean I can sort of kind of understand the stiffer suspension being extra, but I don't understand why someone should have to pay extra for a better steering M car.

-I really don't think carbon brakes should be mandatory with this package. That just makes it way too bat-shit expensive. Especially considering that some of these things should have been in the car to begin with. So I am glad they didn't put it in there.

-Overall, I really hope these improvements make it the undeniable class leader. Like the M5 has always been.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
New sport exhaust.
Yup. Saw your previous reply. I'm curious to know the difference between the stock, 7NA, and MPE exhaust for the M5/M6. Materials, weight, shape, pipes, etc.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto

Well, it's no surprise. Most manufacturers have always updated their facelift cars, whether with better performance enhancements, newer cosmetics or ironing out niggles - it's nothing new. Early adopters should know this by now. Manufactures have to keep things fresh and keep up with the competition. If you are unhappy, then switch up, if not then too bad. It's life. The automobile industry isn't the only one doing this. M could have made the best car in the world but progress happens whether one likes it or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
New sport exhaust.
The upcoming Akra made M performance exhaust is different than the "sport exhaust" with black chrome tips on the Comp pkg?

Any information on the "sport exhaust?"
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #20
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Retrofit on 2012-13 F10 M5s? I'd like everything but the exhaust and wheels. Maybe they can part this out? Suspension is already fantastic, but a drop and a bit more rigidity is a welcome update.
      05-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #21
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMusicRules View Post

Wonder if this admits defeat from BMW that EPS can never match road feedback of HPS. Not good....
EPS can be excellent, nobody ever complained about the Honda 20+ year old NSX's EPS ever lacking in feel. That said, the F10 M5 has always been hydraulic.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #22
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto

Well, it's no surprise. Most manufacturers have always updated their facelift cars, whether with better performance enhancements, newer cosmetics or ironing out niggles - it's nothing new. Early adopters should know this by now. Manufactures have to keep things fresh and keep up with the competition. If you are unhappy, then switch up, if not then too bad. It's life. The automobile industry isn't the only one doing this. M could have made the best car in the world but progress happens whether one likes it or not.
Point is its the next model Year. Sure I don't mind comp packs or updates. But a year later? This is an automobile not an iPhone.

In the M3 it was actually the 4th MY.
Appreciate 0